Additional options for the option menu

Have an idea or great plots for Egoboo? Post them here!

Moderator: Developers

Ditto
Jungle Warrior (Committed contributor)
Jungle Warrior (Committed contributor)

Additional options for the option menu

Post by Ditto »

While I know that the options can be edited into the game through use of setup.txt, it can be a bit of an arduous process, and some players who are less experienced with how the .txt files affect the game might not know how to do it. I had a few ideas for additional options that could be added into the menu.

1080p: I'm not sure if it's hard to implement, and I wouldn't try to pressure anyone into doing it, but a lot of monitors nowadays have this as the default setting, and it's a little bizarre to have settings all the way up to 1877 x 1060 or something like that (I can't remember exactly was the resolution was) but not go all the way up to the common resolution of 1080p.

Higher FPS cap: 30 FPS can make the game look a little bit choppy. I'm not sure if it would cause instability, but even fairly old computers could probably handle 60-120 or even higher FPS with this game, and it'd make the game look a little bit smoother and a little bit nicer.
"It only hurts when my squad won't f***ing heal me."

http://guildedage.net/
Agent of Dread
Protector (Senior Member)
Protector (Senior Member)

Re: Additional options for the option menu

Post by Agent of Dread »

The one you're probably thinking of is 1680x1050, somewhere in between 1080p and 720p (although 16:10 as opposed to the standard HD 16:9). Although you're right, these would be good in the menu.
- Linktree: linktr.ee/trilbs -
bgbirdsey
{]-[0{0|307 (Developer)
{]-[0{0|307 (Developer)

Post by bgbirdsey »

In one of the revisions, the options were configured to scan your computer for all valid fullscreen resolutions.

The list of resolutions would be better for full screen play, but something similar to the current version would be better for windowed.

Maybe the best would be to use the valid fullscreen modes when the "fullscreen" option is set, and to support all reasonable aspect ratios in windowed mode?
penguinflyer5234
Sheep (Developer)
Sheep (Developer)

Post by penguinflyer5234 »

1080p is 1920x1080, 16:9 (16:10 version of this is 1920x1200)

With SDL 1.2.10+ (we use 1.2.14), we can query SDL about the current resolution of the screen with SDL_GetVideoInfo() before we do SDL_SetVideoMode() and maybe use all the screen resolutions (with reasonable aspect ratios, of course) that fit in that for that current resolution.
Zefz
Squirrel Knight (Administrator)

Post by Zefz »

Higher FPS cap: 30 FPS can make the game look a little bit choppy. I'm not sure if it would cause instability, but even fairly old computers could probably handle 60-120 or even higher FPS with this game, and it'd make the game look a little bit smoother and a little bit nicer.
Maybe a option to completely disable the frame limit?
Shade
Potion Mimic (Senior Member)
Potion Mimic (Senior Member)

Post by Shade »

Zefz wrote:
Maybe a option to completely disable the frame limit?
I think 30, 60 and unlimited FPS as options would be fine. The game was designed to run with 60 FPS - it just seems awfully slow and sloppy with 30. I don't really know what the point of limiting FPS is in the first place, considering Egoboo handles FPS and UPS seperately, but if there's a reason, 60 FPS at the very least runs smoothly.
Zefz

Post by Zefz »

I guess it's to reduce the performance impact of rendering. Possibly there are some frame things done through the CPU which hogs down the UPS?