G'nome: Powered Weapons And Armor/Clothing

Have an idea or great plots for Egoboo? Post them here!

Moderator: Developers

Maxaxle
Darkshine Knight (Extremist fanatic)

G'nome: Powered Weapons And Armor/Clothing

Post by Maxaxle »

Weapon Categories:
Category 1:
Power tools. No, seriously: take any power tool and weaponize it. G'nomes have been doing this forever, but not always as well as they are now (as they have somewhat-refined power tools now).
Category 2:
Highly modified power tools and tool-weapon hybrids. Drillswords, chainsaw-axes, etc. epic weapons. Even stuff like gigantic circular saws would fit in here, if modified enough. This is a relatively new technology for G'nomes, as power tools have not been so refined as to be useful in combat.
Category 3:
Outright weapons. Includes energy weapons such as supertasers and laser gonnes. All cutting-edge and mad-scientist stuff goes here.

In a general sense, melee weapons loose about 70-90% of their damage capabilities when they run out of energy. Electric-powered ones start to roll off when the battery reaches the 90%-depleted-mark and stop running entirely when the battery is dead. Batteries must be replaced or recharged, and recharging costs less, but rechargables have lower capacities and roll off earlier (at the 75%- or 80%-depleted-mark). Unless charging up a shot or firing, weapons use no power, as they are switched on when swinging. Steam-powered melee weapons start out at 100% "blade speed" (blade speed can be used as a way to quantify weapon damage) and slowly decrease in speed over time. Holding the attack button toggles the weapon on or off. Steam-powered ranged weapons use natural gas tanks (very small ones) to heat the main tanks (where the steam is, of course) and burn it slowly over time when held. I have two options for this, as there is no third-action-for-this-item button.
Option 1: Holding down the attack button charges a shot by increasing the gas flow (OR toggles it higher/lower), and releasing the attack button fires it.
Option 2:: Holding down the attack button closes or opens the gas valve so it may be conserved.
Without fuel, steam-powered ranged weapons' damage, range, and accuracy quickly decrease. Without steam, steam-powered ranged weapons do not fire at all. Steam (or water) may be refilled in bodies of water, but refilling at wells in towns (or buying purer water) results in slightly better power/efficiency. After refilling, the water/steam tank must be reheated (this takes 5 or 10 fuel/gas and 10 seconds) so the weapon may be fired again.

Armor/Clothing Categories:
Category 1:
Electrified armor, must be toggled on or off manually. Power decreases very, very slowly over time, but coming into contact with organic enemies depletes the battery by 2% (but metal-armored ones take much more damage), bumping into non-metallic non-organics depletes the battery by 1%, and touching non-organic metallic enemies trips the breaker (and so the armor must be toggled on again). I'm not sure whether the armor battery should be entirely depleted (and/or destroyed) AND damage the player if the player goes into water while wearing the armor, or whether it should simply trip the breaker like with non-organic metallic enemies (leaning towards "trips breaker"). Becomes low-grade, but otherwise normal, metal armor when battery is depleted. Perhaps also slows player *slightly*? A good choice for those new to powered armor, considering its relatively low trade-offs. In G'nome terms, it's old news at best.

Category 2:
Power armor, must be toggled on or off manually. Power decreases at about 5% or 10% per hour, and only decreases otherwise when hardening against attacks. Somewhat ineffective against SHOCK, EVIL, and HOLY damage (I know I'm missing one...), and even freezes the player up if the player is shocked (40% chance). Speeds up weapon animations 15% and adds some damage (10%? 5%?) when using melee weapons or using fists. When power is depleted, the player slows down 15%-25% (depends on STR, DEX, CON?), very little damage is absorbed/blocked (think Leather Armor-type protection), and the suit itself cannot be paralyzed by SHOCK damage (or maybe it can, IDK about this). Very similar to an HEV suit, overall. Cutting-edge but fairly useless when there is no power.

Category 3:Many ideas in this category, with the basic idea being that this armor is meant entirely for battle.

Option 1: It's a G'nome diving battle suit! Decent protection all around (powered armor), no powered movement, disallows inventory switching, but excellent for swimming. Perhaps there would be a way to make it superbouyant at any given time, and it should be easy to take off. This one just gets slightly less protective when out of power, but keep in mind that the power could be the only thing allowing it to be superbouyant or allowing it to be useful as a scuba suit in the first place (an air pump w/hose w/bouyant thing at the other end gets the wearer their air/atmosphere/oxygen).
Option 2: It's just a lot of armor with powered movement Low SHOCK protection (if not negative SHOCK protection), plenty of other protective characteristics, and...Well, that's it. Perhaps it doesn't have a mounted weapon. Could be fairly old, or a prototype. Or just extremely cheap. Extremely slow when unpowered, but STR, DEX, and CON reduce this problem.
Option 3: It's a tank-suit, with TWO mounted guns (one per hand), a ton of armor, and possibly even powered movement (actual tank treads? :twisted: ). Difficult to use and super-slow, but it's either meant for full-scale war or it's a prototype for [insert group/faction that needs military-type power here]. If it ran out of power, the player would be immobile (should be equippable-unequippable or even a vehicle for that reason).
Option 4: It's a light battle suit, with no mounted weapons, a little bit of (powered? unpowered?) armor, and a TON of powered movement. High mobility (even adds speed to the player's top speed), low protective power, and maybe even added inventory slots. I'd hate to see it actually become one, but the closest thing I can think of would be a Power Ranger suit. Running out of power would have very little effect, besides slowing the player's speed to 95% normal.

What do you think?
Last edited by Maxaxle on Sun Oct 30, 2011 11:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Failing to plan is planning to fail."
Bug me if you want to play a game.
Shade
Potion Mimic (Senior Member)
Potion Mimic (Senior Member)

Re: G'nome: Powered Weapons And Armor/Clothing

Post by Shade »

Maxaxle wrote:Warning: this topic is extremely long.
Not really. I've easily written and read posts ten times that size and more.

Maxaxle wrote:What do you think?
It's the same garbage "Turn Egoboo into CoD/Half Life/Halo/[insertanyothergenericFPShere]" idea that we're all used from our good ol' Maxaxle.
We don't need anything like this, it's needlessly convoluted and complicated, and it'd add absolutely nothing to the gameplay.
In other words, No.
octagon

Post by octagon »

This is quite convoluted indeed, and some of those ideas (a mecha? C'mon, seriously.) don't fit Egoboo at all, but I like the power armour.
bgbirdsey
{]-[0{0|307 (Developer)
{]-[0{0|307 (Developer)

Post by bgbirdsey »

Anything possibly steampunk is OK. Anything more techy than that probably doesn't fit the G'Nome genome.
Maxaxle

Post by Maxaxle »

In a nutshell, I'll try to be more open-minded and Egoboo-minded in the future.
Shade wrote: It's the same garbage "Turn Egoboo into CoD/Half Life/Halo/[insertanyothergenericFPShere]" idea that we're all used from our good ol' Maxaxle.
What gave you that impression? I was just posting a bunch of ideas and such. If you think they're not Egoboo-y enough, I'll overhaul them.
octagon wrote:(a mecha? C'mon, seriously.)
It sounded like fun, as opposed to gameplay-based and easy-to-use and simple.
octagon wrote:power armour.
Any ideas? If you agree with Shade, you'll probably want to simplify it (which isn't necessarily a bad thing, but could end in Fridge Logic if not done carefully).
bgbirdsey wrote:Anything possibly steampunk is OK. Anything more techy than that probably doesn't fit the G'Nome genome.
So the steam-powered weapons are good, then? And perhaps the scuba suit, turned down a little?

Definite Changes:
-Scrap electric power altogether
-Everything should be simplified

Possible Tweaks:
-Simplify weapons
-Drillsword/Chainaxe/etc.: Scrap? Nerf?

Possible Additions:
-Gonnes, although not a bad thing, should not be overused, so should I make up more semi-conventional Gonne-type weapons?
-Steam-powered automatic crossbow? Or is that going too far?
-Stuff to set stuff on fire? (probably not)
-Vehicles?
-Binoculars, tools?
bgbirdsey
{]-[0{0|307 (Developer)
{]-[0{0|307 (Developer)

Post by bgbirdsey »

Maybe you could have some electric, since people were experimenting with electricity before steam engines existed.

The major tech of G'nomes seems to be based on Gonne Powder, Grog, steam, and lighter-than-air.
Maxaxle

Post by Maxaxle »

bgbirdsey wrote:Maybe you could have some electric, since people were experimenting with electricity before steam engines existed.

The major tech of G'nomes seems to be based on Gonne Powder, Grog, steam, and lighter-than-air.
:agree: And if you think electricity's okay here and there, I'll run with it. Could make for some awesome railgun action.
bgbirdsey
{]-[0{0|307 (Developer)
{]-[0{0|307 (Developer)

Post by bgbirdsey »

not railgun, lightning gun or maybe a "lightning in a bottle" which you can throw like a grenade. Or static electricity slippers which will charge your hand-to-hand hits up with electricity when you move around. or a battery powered amulet which will shock you back to life (just once, mind) if you are killed. Stuff like that.
woodmouse
Monolich (Senior Member)
Monolich (Senior Member)

Post by woodmouse »

bgbirdsey wrote:a battery powered amulet which will shock you back to life (just once, mind) if you are killed.
That'd be epic, but kinda funny/weird in some situations, like for example if you'd get killed by some monster that poisons you, and the poison suddenly just disappears. :P

But I just always overthink everything, so. :lol:
Once upon a time, when unicorns roamed the earth...
Maxaxle

Post by Maxaxle »

bgbirdsey wrote:not railgun, lightning gun or maybe a "lightning in a bottle" which you can throw like a grenade. Or static electricity slippers which will charge your hand-to-hand hits up with electricity when you move around. or a battery powered amulet which will shock you back to life (just once, mind) if you are killed. Stuff like that.
I swear you could run this topic for me.

Static Electricity Slippers:
*Charge up with running (when worn).
*Make a shuffling noise when worn (disables stealthing?)
+Cause shock damage based on how charged-up they are; shock damage only applies when user attacks with bare hands or metallic weapons.
-5-10% running speed when worn.

Lightning In A Bottle:
*Cube with rounded edges and rounded corners.
*Rechargable
*Reusable
*Does shock damage within a certain radius, like a thrown bomb.
+Does a LOT of damage to enemies wearing metallic armor.
+Higher chance to stun smaller enemies.
-Does not do much damage to enemies wearing leather armor.
-Self-destructs when in water.

How it works:
1. You throw it.
2. After ~3 seconds, it stops itself, rights itself, and deploys a bunch of small wires (which look like tentacles).
3. The tentacles do shock damage to anything that touches them.
4. After about 10 seconds, the tentacles stop doing damage (some sort of visual indicator would be nice; perhaps a light on the top of the LiaB turns off?) and the player may pick it up.
5. The player may recharge the LiaB somehow.

Revival Bracelet:
*Rechargable?
+Revives player about 3-10 seconds after death.
-~30-40% chance of success, and you revive with 25-50% health.
-Does not work when submerged (self-destructs?).
-Chance of success decreases if the player was poisoned or drowned.
+Chance of success increases with strength, constitution, and health.
+Chance of success increases if the player's armor was relatively light.

The only reason I decided against a Lightning Gun was the fact that lightning/tesla coils/etc. are omnidirectional (as in, they could strike the player, and what kind of dumb G'nomish weapon would kill its user?).
EDIT: G'nomish Death Ray. Forgot about that.

Stuff I thought up just now...
SuperGrog:
*Looks somewhat like regular Grog but has a fancier bottle and smells weird to the player (first attempt to drink it will result in "This Grog smells like a broken-down chemical plant! _t% has second thoughts about drinking it...", second attempt will result in "All right, down the hatch!...").
*Upon death: all HUD screw (see second negative effect) is undone.
+Has effects similar to pain pills from the Left 4 Dead series, being a temporary health boost that can be decreased by being damaged.
+Increases constitution, something else?
-Decreases strength, dexterity, wisdom, intelligence, running speed (slightly)
-Causes HUD to go screwy (player's face randomly switches out for other ones, health bar increases/decreases, name becomes corrupt (goes from Twabby to Tawbby to Twawby to Tuardy, etc.), camera screw?).

Balloon Backpack:
*Think of it as a hot-air-balloon coming out of a generic backpack.
+Allows the player to hover into the air when activated (toggled by holding the jump button?).
-Uses up some type of natural gas for fuel.
*Increasing altitude is the most inefficient, decreasing the most efficient, and staying at-altitude uses very little fuel.

Steam Shover: (not the final name)
*Like a powered fist, using steam pistons to get the job done.
+Adds crush and bash damage to player's normal melee attack, often throwing enemies across the room.
-Uses up coal/natural gas to prepare next punch by heating water.
-Uses up water/steam by punching.
+Steam released goes out the sides, scalding anyone/anything there.

In terms of pure function, think of it as a weapon that buffs the player's melee attack at the cost of time (~1/3rd of a second for each punch), natural gas or coal (1-2%/punch), and water (~1-3%/punch). Heating water itself takes no time at all (or very little) due to very small amounts of water involved (a half-glass of water would be the closest thing I can compare it to IRL).

Grogbomb: I have two options for this one.
Option 1:
*In everyday terms, it's a Molotov with less flammability and more explosiveness.
*Detonates on impact.
+Ignites things near its impact area.
-Does 75% the damage of a normal bomb in terms of explosive damage.
Option 2:
*Nitroglycerin, basically.
+25% More damage.
+Glass shards do 1 damage apiece, about 10 shards/bottle.
-30-50%Smaller blast radius.

I really like the name on this one :D .

Grog Blaster: Another two-option idea.
Option 1:
*Fires Grogbombs or similar explosives.
*Semi-auto, but kinda slow to fire.
+Larger blast radius than normal Grogbombs.
-Hefty somehow. Requires two hands to fire.
-Lower damage per shot than normal Grogbombs.
Option 2:
*Fires Grogbombs or similar explosives.
*Slow full-auto.
+More damage per shot than normal Grogbombs.
-Mounted only.
-Smaller blast radius per shot than normal Grogbombs.
Last edited by Maxaxle on Sun Nov 06, 2011 12:44 am, edited 3 times in total.
penguinflyer5234
Sheep (Developer)
Sheep (Developer)

Post by penguinflyer5234 »

Maxaxle wrote:*Spherical or boxy-spherical-shaped (kind of like http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/13 ... 8.jpg/sr=1 but with fewer polys)
...how many less polygons do you want? It's only 96 four-sided polygons... (192 triangles)
Maxaxle

Post by Maxaxle »

penguinflyer5234 wrote:
Maxaxle wrote:*Spherical or boxy-spherical-shaped (kind of like http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/13 ... 8.jpg/sr=1 but with fewer polys)
...how many less polygons do you want? It's only 96 four-sided polygons... (192 triangles)
Come to think of it, a cube with rounded edges, rounded corners would be better than an intentionally-low-poly sphere...
octagon

Post by octagon »

MOAR POLYGONS!
SPREAD THE POLYGONALITY!
[/derailment]
Maxaxle

Post by Maxaxle »

octagon wrote:MOAR POLYGONS!
SPREAD THE POLYGONALITY!
[/derailment]
More sides = higher chance of rolling = more unpredictable ingame, plus more coding (physics) would be needed.

EDIT: About the Grogbombs...should they do a flip as they fly through the air? This of course would be the falling animation as well, but...it would look cool too, amirite? Or is there a way to separate the two types of falling animations (falling VS thrown)?
Dark
Tranch (Novice)
Tranch (Novice)

Post by Dark »

Most of these ideas seem too complex to me. I think its better to keep things simple in Egoboo.
Also I totally agree that gnomish stuff shouldnt go beyond steampunk.

Any laser weapons or chainsaws would be a bit too much I think.
To me gnomes are silly crazy tinkering nutbars. Not killer machines.
Perhaps one or two tool-like chainsaw weapons could be made as very-rare epic items though.

Some simple tool weapons seem perfectly fine though.
For example a large heavy wrench.

I like the revival accessory and the baloon ideas.
Baloon could work like the levitation accessory (dont remember what was it exactly) except its only usable by a gnome.
There should be some additional factor to make it different though as as far as I know gnome can use the levitation accessory too.