Sign Lighting

Have an idea or great plots for Egoboo? Post them here!

Moderator: Developers

Shade
Potion Mimic (Senior Member)

Re: Sign Lighting

Post by Shade »

Maxaxle wrote:
Shade wrote:Maxaxle, just because you think something is useless does not mean we need to implement even more stuff that pretty much everyone else agrees is use- and pointless.
Considering that you don't see what I think is wrong with [insert anything I think is useless/pointless here], could you point out to me what is pointless about a lit sign (especially if it could be used in dark modules)?
Lit signs are pointless because currently, you can read a sign even in complete darkness if you bump into it (and that's not even very likely to happen, because honestly - who's gonna play a completely dark module without bringing a light source? Me rushing through the Shadow Palace doesn't count). What's the point in changing this mechanic and then adding something that reverts the change again? Furthermore, what's the point in having a "lit sign" if you could just put a brazier or something next to a sign that you really want people to read?
penguinflyer5234
Sheep (Developer)
Sheep (Developer)

Post by penguinflyer5234 »

If you really want a lit sign, why don't you make one yourself? :-_-:
Maxaxle
Darkshine Knight (Extremist fanatic)

Post by Maxaxle »

Shade wrote: Furthermore, what's the point in having a "lit sign" if you could just put a brazier or something next to a sign that you really want people to read?
The main idea is that a lit sign combines the two objects so lazy mappers don't have to bother with it. And it looks nicer IMO.
penguinflyer5234 wrote:If you really want a lit sign, why don't you make one yourself? :-_-:
Because copy-pasting Brazier code into the sign script would probably not work.

...or would it? :think:
"Failing to plan is planning to fail."
Bug me if you want to play a game.
octagon

Post by octagon »

Then have fun bumping it.
Shade

Post by Shade »

Maxaxle wrote:The main idea is that a lit sign combines the two objects so lazy mappers don't have to bother with it. And it looks nicer IMO.
As I said, there currently is no need to provide light to read a sign in the first place, and so far you haven't given a single reason for why it should be changed.
Furthermore, placing an object is literally a single line of simple code that can pretty much be copy-pasted with only minor changes each time. It's even less work if you use EgoMap. If you're too lazy to do that, you shouldn't be making modules in the first place.
What's more, how are you going to tell that a lit sign "looks nicer" than a sign with one or two braziers next to it if no images of it actually exist?
Agent of Dread
Protector (Senior Member)
Protector (Senior Member)

Post by Agent of Dread »

While I don't understand why you like the idea, Maxaxle, I can't get behind it anyway, since your basic implication is "I think this idea is cool and necessary, so make it for me, guys."
- Linktree: linktr.ee/trilbs -
Maxaxle

Post by Maxaxle »

Agent of Dread wrote:While I don't understand why you like the idea, Maxaxle, I can't get behind it anyway, since your basic implication is "I think this idea is cool and necessary, so make it for me, guys."
It's actually "I think this idea is cool, what if it were implemented but I can't code for crap so someone else would need to do it?".

And I only like this idea because it combines two simple objects that are normally found together anyway, mostly to save space. But if it's so terrible, then fine. Don't.
Yes, Motive Decay played a fairly large part in this post. Yes, I feel kinda stupid.
Shade

Post by Shade »

Maxaxle wrote:
Agent of Dread wrote:While I don't understand why you like the idea, Maxaxle, I can't get behind it anyway, since your basic implication is "I think this idea is cool and necessary, so make it for me, guys."
It's actually "I think this idea is cool, what if it were implemented but I can't code for crap so someone else would need to do it?".
You were pretty adamant about it, though. Coupled with the fact that you never gave any reasons for why it should be implemented, it just came across as "do it. Because I say so".
Maxaxle wrote:And I only like this idea because it combines two simple objects that are normally found together anyway, mostly to save space. But if it's so terrible, then fine. Don't.
Can you name a few places where signs and lighting are placed together? I can't recall any. The only signs I remember are all in places that are completely lit anyway.
Maxaxle

Post by Maxaxle »

Shade wrote: You were pretty adamant about it, though. Coupled with the fact that you never gave any reasons for why it should be implemented, it just came across as "do it. Because I say so".
In a nutshell, I didn't realize that it was indeed pointless. And it sounded 30% cooler in my head.