New inventory system

Have an idea or great plots for Egoboo? Post them here!

Moderator: Developers

Zefz
Squirrel Knight (Administrator)

New inventory system

Post by Zefz »

Note: Nothing has been implemented (yet) the following image is just concept art for an idea.

So I was thinking on how many people have complained on the inventory system in Egoboo. I don't think it would be that hard to implement something more sophisticated. The following image is how I visualize it happening:

Player presses the Inventory button (only a single button now) to open up the popup window. Can use movement keys to move around in the inventory (currently the purple gem is selected).

Pressing the inventory key again closes the popup window.
Game is not paused while inventory is open.
More than one player can open inventory at the same time.
Pressing Get/Drop will swap the current selected item with what you have in hand (so pressing DROP/GET LEFT would make the gem swap places with the current crossbow Lop is holding). The USE button could be use for the identify window I mentioned earlier? (item name, description, usage, weight, value, etc.)

Note that the inventory is 15 items big on the image! This should be possible due to the dynamic slot system. Also notice I proposed a Weight value to balance any new inventory space that could be added. Max weight could be determined by the Strength attribute.

In first instance I think it would be easiest to just keep the 6 old inventory slots before expanding anything.
Zefz

Re: New inventory system

Post by Zefz »

Alternatively one of the USE buttons could mean Equip. (for use with shoes, bracelets, amulets, armours, etc.)
Cimeries
Lumberjack (Developer)
Lumberjack (Developer)

Post by Cimeries »

I think only 5 slots should be available for general items, with more inventory slots appearing retroactively as the player finds more quest items.
We could also make a separate tab for various keys, like in Soulfu.

This sort of inventory system will let us implement purchasable containers that add extra inventory slots to increase the 7 item limit. IDZS tags can track what kind of container the player bought and add inventory slots accordingly.
:wink:
Zefz

Post by Zefz »

I was right, the first few steps were quite easy to implement.

This is actual ingame footage now: :woo:

I haven't implemented any input control on inventory yet, neither have I converted the inventory from a First in Last out queue into a fully traversable inventory.

This means I need to remove the old inventory system to get this to work properly. I will do so now but I won't change any game mechanics such as increasing inventory size yet.
bgbirdsey
{]-[0{0|307 (Developer)
{]-[0{0|307 (Developer)

Post by bgbirdsey »

Before you implement this system, play with SoulFu with multiple players (or with a pet). In my experience, here is a bit of a problem with managing the placement of the inventory windows.

I had done an in-game inventory system where the player's inventory would appear next to their player icon, something more like this:

As far as I can see, you only lose the weight info.
Zefz

Post by Zefz »

Yes I was considering that as well. I'll try out my current idea first see if it works in multiplayer because I think it will work out if we have one inventory centred in each corner area of the screen. (yes the screen will get filled up, but you are sitting next to the players so you can talk to each other when to open inventories)

I have movement in the inventory ready now.
bgbirdsey
{]-[0{0|307 (Developer)
{]-[0{0|307 (Developer)

Post by bgbirdsey »

The thing about the system I had was that it was activated for like 5 seconds with a single keypress and will work for as many players (and pets) as are displayed in the hud, and is minimally invasive. Also, it does not capture the player's your movement.

On the other hand, you can manipulate your inventory using your system.
Seth
Chest Mimic (Community member)
Chest Mimic (Community member)

Post by Seth »

¶ I approve of this concept, but could you please not make the inventory spaces lined exclusively in a horizontal order? Having an inventory with vertical and horizontal spaces would surely make navigation easier, no?
Zefz

Post by Zefz »

Okay the new inventory system is up and working in the latest revision of the SVN.
Zefz

Post by Zefz »

I have added support for inventories in multiplayer.

This is a screenshot of the worst case scenario of 4 players opening inventories at the same time:

Through this solution it is possible to have inventories open while the action is happening and still be able to see!
Agent of Dread
Protector (Senior Member)
Protector (Senior Member)

Post by Agent of Dread »

The full-opacity 'Egoboo Red' seems a bit of an eye-sore... perhaps some transparency could be added to the entire box?
- Linktree: linktr.ee/trilbs -
Zefz

Post by Zefz »

I was thinking the same, but it seems alpha doesn't work for some reason. I've probably left out some opengl alpha parameter.

I've also added lerp to the inventories, so that they slide into the screen instead of suddenly appearing. I've made it fast enough so it isnt irritating.
Zefz

Post by Zefz »

Anyone who wants to try out the new inventory system along with the new AI pathfinding can do so through the latest binary:
http://egoboo.sourceforge.net/phpBB3/vi ... f=4&t=1002
Midnight_Carnival
Acid Blob (New member)
Acid Blob (New member)

Post by Midnight_Carnival »

Nice.
One minor "point of potential growth" I'd like to point out though.
As I see it, the sort of inventory your are suggesting (trying out) would work best in a game where you can pause and sort things out. While I feel that Egoboo's present system (I may be working on a far older version than you) can be a little cumbersome and clumsy, it does not require you to stop playing as it were in order to get stuff out. This is particularly relevant (I feel) when you consider the multiplayer aspect of the game. I'm not sure I'd want to try using the inventory in the middle of a frank exchange of views with some Lumpkins if it obscures part of the screen.

-perhaps you could try adding a "quick use" slot for potions (perhaps not spellbooks or wands)?
(always the ones who can't code who make the "it's easy, you can just..." suggestions as above :oops: )
bgbirdsey
{]-[0{0|307 (Developer)
{]-[0{0|307 (Developer)

Post by bgbirdsey »

Thanks for your input. It has been a while since anyone has been interested in development!

The idea about accessibility s an interesting point. The small inventory has always been a feature of egoboo, but it has always been very difficult to swap out inventory items. I guess the original idea was that all important weapons would be kept in-hand, and spellbooks/scrolls could be swapped out.

The problem is when you have equipment that gives you buffs, like necklaces or shoes, etc. and what to do when you are carrying the 4 golden sporks.

Please let us know what you think about this.