Realistic citizen interactions when in towns/cities

Have an idea or great plots for Egoboo? Post them here!

Moderator: Developers

Maxaxle
Darkshine Knight (Extremist fanatic)

Realistic citizen interactions when in towns/cities

Post by Maxaxle »

1. Citizens respond when bumped.
2. Citizens talk to other citizens 40% of the time (the other 60%, they ignore each other unless there's a collision)
3. Crime. Self-explanitory. "Police" system already set-up with the current Bishopia Guards.
4. Citizens interact with shopkeepers, buy/sell random stuff. Let's say that Bob the Citizen has an Amulet and can either go to the Weapons Shop or the Magic Shop. He goes to the Magic Shop and values it there: the shop will buy it for 250 Zenny. He goes to the Weapons Shop and values it there: the shop will buy it for $100 Zenny. He then proceeds to the Magic Shop and sells the Amulet. He says "I'd like to sell this!" and goes over near the Shopkeeper. The Shopkeeper says "Here ya go..." and the Citizen pulls out the Amulet. He then goes into the shop area and drops the Amulet. He then continues on his route like nothing happened.
5. Citizens carrying objects related to work.
6. Carriages and backpacks and the like. Stuff for moving stuff.
7. Houses...? (a citizen goes near their house, the door opens, they walk in, the door closes. The player is not allowed in)
8. Actual arresting. Guards shouldn't kill EVERYONE.
"Failing to plan is planning to fail."
Bug me if you want to play a game.
Agent of Dread
Protector (Senior Member)
Protector (Senior Member)

Post by Agent of Dread »

1. Yes.
2. Way too many possible situations... think of the poor voice actors!
3. What, crime on the streets? Meh.
4. Why? It doesn't achieve anything.
5. Could do.
6. Carriages would just be intrusive of the players...
7. Meh.
8. Okay sure, you can code that right away.
- Linktree: linktr.ee/trilbs -
Lordofdragonss
Chest Mimic (Community member)
Chest Mimic (Community member)

Post by Lordofdragonss »

1. Citizens respond when bumped. I think even basic Hello! When citizens bump would work ;]
5. Citizens carrying objects related to work. Me liek

rest is meh, but it could be fun. Firstly someone should make vilagers do not bumping on the walls every time...
Image FEED ME!
Cimeries
Lumberjack (Developer)
Lumberjack (Developer)

Post by Cimeries »

Lordofdragonss wrote:Firstly someone should make vilagers do not bumping on the walls every time...
They're just being dumb friendly.
:wink:
Zefz
Squirrel Knight (Administrator)

Post by Zefz »

I already implemented talking peasants. I also implemented a wagon and various tools people are carrying (hammer for the blacksmith, staff for the sheep herders, etc.)
octagon

Post by octagon »

I like 1,2,4,5 and 8. It's great that 1,5 and 6 are already implemented... there will be a time for me to test.
Maxaxle

Post by Maxaxle »

Agent of Dread wrote: 8. Okay sure, you can code that right away.
Good one.

But seriously, I'd need a freakin' MENTOR to figure out how to code!
woodmouse
Monolich (Senior Member)
Monolich (Senior Member)

Post by woodmouse »

Maxaxle wrote:
Agent of Dread wrote: 8. Okay sure, you can code that right away.
Good one.

But seriously, I'd need a freakin' MENTOR to figure out how to code!
I don't think the 8 would be so hard. I mean, it could be done similarly to how the player joins "Evil" team, but with "Criminal Npc" or something, and the guards would then go after those. The coding for them to "arrest" them would of course be harder in a way it'd be convincing, but it could be done with waypoints. Although that'd most probably cause some bugs if both the player and npcs would do crimes at the same time...
Once upon a time, when unicorns roamed the earth...
octagon

Post by octagon »

Possibly arresting could be done with a chain like that of the iron balls (but with a non-heavy handle instead), which is put into the inventory of a guard when you are cornered... Then they drag you around until you drop the stuff you have stolen and you possibly lose some money as a penalty.
Also, you should not instantly become outlawed if you steal once. Instead there should be two separate quests, the theft quest possibly called THIE or THEF. If you are marked as a thief, shopkeepers should suspect you and be less friendly.
woodmouse
Monolich (Senior Member)
Monolich (Senior Member)

Post by woodmouse »

So, I got an idea that fits into this thread, so here goes:
Being REALLY evil in towns would result in a new module to come up: Execution of the player. You know, like a stadion place with crowd around watching, and maaany guards as enemies. :lol: If you'd kill them all, you'd lose something (money?) but the town evilness would reset. If you'd lose, well, dunno what that would cause. Maybe the town would need to be unlocked by some small sidequest?
Maxaxle

Post by Maxaxle »

woodmouse wrote:So, I got an idea that fits into this thread, so here goes:
Being REALLY evil in towns would result in a new module to come up: Execution of the player. You know, like a stadion place with crowd around watching, and maaany guards as enemies. :lol: If you'd kill them all, you'd lose something (money?) but the town evilness would reset. If you'd lose, well, dunno what that would cause. Maybe the town would need to be unlocked by some small sidequest?
That's a bit dark. However, that one thing where they lock up your hands and head so you can't move... :lol: ...that would be more fitting. As in, until your system clock reaches [time of crime + 15 minutes], your character cannot be used, and if you do not press ESC, your character will stay there for the 15 minutes and you will be free to roam the town again.
Zefz

Post by Zefz »

The plan was to allow the player to pay a high bribe to some suspicious lookin fellow or lady in Booty Cove to get the criminal flag removed from your head.
woodmouse
Monolich (Senior Member)
Monolich (Senior Member)

Post by woodmouse »

Maxaxle wrote:
That's a bit dark.
I meant it kind of like... you know, if you'd be R E E A A L L L Y Y evil in towns. You know, like killing everyone.
Maxaxle

Post by Maxaxle »

woodmouse wrote:
Maxaxle wrote:
That's a bit dark.
I meant it kind of like... you know, if you'd be R E E A A L L L Y Y evil in towns. You know, like killing everyone.
...But even then!
Gat'lin Gun
Acid Blob (New member)
Acid Blob (New member)

Re: Realistic citizen interactions when in towns/cities

Post by Gat'lin Gun »

I agree. I'm just a noob at crime in egoboo, but having a module where the goal was to get butchered in front of cheering crowds, is kind of frustrating.