Random Treasure!

Have an idea or great plots for Egoboo? Post them here!

Moderator: Developers

Zefz
Squirrel Knight (Administrator)

Random Treasure!

Post by Zefz »

So I've implemented this random Treasure Table system for Egoboo. This allows us to completely randomize what kind of loot you get when you kill monsters or open chests.

No longer the same two life potions and lightning wand in the Sand Palace! Now you can get lucky and get Orbstorm Wand and maybe two potions of Regeneration instead!

So important items such as keys are not randomized. We can also specify the type of random item to spawn, such as always a randomized potion or a randomized magic spell.

We can use this system to properly randomize shops and randomize the weapons monsters you encounter use as well!
Agent of Dread
Protector (Senior Member)

Post by Agent of Dread »

Wow, sounds great! Almost tempting me to fight through all the current bugs (likely a terrible misconception).
- Linktree: linktr.ee/trilbs -
Zefz

Post by Zefz »

"all the current bugs" arent that many anymore :P

There are two issues that need to be worked out before 2.8.1 is ready for a proper release! (doors are not sensitive enough and mounts dont work)
Maxaxle
Darkshine Knight (Extremist fanatic)

Post by Maxaxle »

HUZZAH! Except perhaps we should limit the types of items available per chest? As in, there shouldn't be an EPIC SWORD OF COMPLETE DESTRUCTION OF EVERYTHING IN SIGHT in the Sand Palace, or a Super Complicated Machine-Gadget-Thing in Zippy Village (unless a techie G'nome is selling it)?
"Failing to plan is planning to fail."
Bug me if you want to play a game.
octagon

Post by octagon »

Maxaxle:
Zefz wrote:So important items such as keys are not randomized. We can also specify the type of random item to spawn, such as always a randomized potion or a randomized magic spell.
Zefz

Post by Zefz »

Yes, I made three different random treasure levels:

Code: Select all

NORMAL_TREASURE (Torches, potions, silver weapons, etc.)

RARE_TREASURE (Magic items, spellbooks, wands, etc.)

UNIQUE_TREASURE (Artifacts, Orbs, Elixirs, etc.)
NORMAL_TREASURE is the default treasure type used in most chest while RARE_TREASURE is usually a boss reward chest or rewards for secret areas. Super bosses like Deamon Lords drop UNIQUE_TREASURE. Of course you can still get lucky and get a really good item early in the game (like orb storm in sand palace), but that's what rougelikes is all about!
Maxaxle

Post by Maxaxle »

That answers my question, excuse the tl;dr earlier.
Dark
Tranch (Novice)
Tranch (Novice)

Re: Random Treasure!

Post by Dark »

Hm... The feature sounds really good but I have a certain concern here.
Randomization of chests and shops can be abused considering its easy to restart a module with no penalty.
For example someone could pick the easiest to finish module with an easy to reach randomized chest along the way and then just spam it to get the items he wants from it.

With fixed chest contents you wont get all that you need from a single module. You gotta play various ones to gather it all.
Besides, fixed chest contents make it more fair towards all the classes and players. It wont happen that someone is lucky/unlucky to get just the stuff for his class/not for his class.

With these things in mind I would preffer to see most chests/enemies hold fixed contents while randomized drop would be something harder to reach + possibly no more than one chest/few enemies per module.
They could offer a fair (but still not very high) chance for good items though (even the "normal" one).

Randomized drop could be a very good end-game replayability motivating factor though.
If most of those rare cool magic items were not found anywhere in the modules but you could only get them from hardest to reach chests in the game and strongest bosses.
The most devoted Egobooers would then have to play the top tier modules a few times to get the best stuff. It would also be a sign of prestige and something to brag about.

Shops are a bit similar though not exactly (not to mention theyve always been randomized).
I know theres some items that can only be found in one town and not any other but unless you need those player has little need to progress to other towns (as long as shopping is concerned. Quests are a valid reason of course.).
Perhaps the items in towns could be semi-fixed. That is: fixed but randomized in result of some special conditions, e.g. each third beaten module or so.

In the end shops are less of a problem than module drops but I think some simple fix could make things better in that matter.
Maxaxle

Post by Maxaxle »

Nice necrobump, however the parameters for what-can-be-obtained-from-a-given-chest could be modified (so that there's a 50% chance of getting a low-level potion, a 48% chance of getting a low-level weapon or useful item, and a 2% chance of getting something nice), or maybe the randomizer could be modified so that it keeps track of all of the chests in a given level (so, incase two chests in a row get relatively high-level stuff, it can re-roll one of them). The idea is that you'd have an extremely high chance of getting something low-level but useful, and an extremely low chance of getting something high-level/valuable.
Agent of Dread

Post by Agent of Dread »

Maxaxle wrote:Nice necrobump
Dark was contributing. That's irrelevant.

Anyway, modifying the frequency is doable and would aid the problem, but it doesn't stop the chests from being farmed.
- Linktree: linktr.ee/trilbs -
Maxaxle

Post by Maxaxle »

Agent of Dread wrote:
Maxaxle wrote:Nice necrobump
Dark was contributing. That's irrelevant.

Anyway, modifying the frequency is doable and would aid the problem, but it doesn't stop the chests from being farmed.
Will anything?
octagon

Post by octagon »

Rare random drops from chests seem to me like a really bad idea... in games like Kingdom of Loathing, which are divided into bite-sized sections and depend more on management and long-term progress than on an individual tour through a dungeon, the principle works well, but in ordinary RPGs and such they're usually just a source of frustration. It could even increase the problem of the chests being farmed, in case someone is really determined to get a rare item.
Shade
Potion Mimic (Senior Member)
Potion Mimic (Senior Member)

Post by Shade »

Yeah, valuable/important drops shouldn't be randomized. If you must have random treasure, limit it to basic equipment and potions.
Zefz

Post by Zefz »

The good treasure is usually only found in golden chests (boss chests awards). The type, amount and level of treasure should be same as before. It should just be more shuffled around to make it more interesting.