New adventurer/archeologist skill

Have an idea or great plots for Egoboo? Post them here!

Moderator: Developers

Crispy
Grub Bug (Rookie)
Grub Bug (Rookie)

New adventurer/archeologist skill

Post by Crispy »

Just thought up a nice ability (after forgeting it three times -.-') for adventurer and/or archeologist. Since the Adventurer is the very first charater that's introduced for new players i think he should have some kind of observation skill that activates like every time he enters a new room in a dungeon or something major has happened since the room was last visited. Let me give out a few examples:
-"% looks around. the room looks pretty safe at first glance. There is only one chest at the bottom corner of the room. fishy i say, fishy..."
-"% looks around. at first glance there doesn't appear to be anything special in the room ignoring those four holes at the ceiling."
-"% enters the yard of the castle. It's already evening and pretty dark even at outdoors. However, a fair figure of enterance can be seen at the wall further in dark yard."
-"Brrr... it's cold out here. I really don't feel like steping in one of those chilly looking ponds. Even the idea of doing it hurts..."
-"Those frogfaces seems pretty tough. I wonder if it would be a better idea to sneak past instead of greeting them."

Get the idea? IMO it sounds cool and would let new players in to the world of Egoboo pretty nicely. The amount of text might couse some problems though. Maybe there should be either a different place for those notes instead of chat list or maybe there should be somekind of chat log, dunno.
octagon
Darkshine Knight (Extremist fanatic)
Darkshine Knight (Extremist fanatic)

Post by octagon »

Seems very cool, but hard to implement.

I guess that to make this work, the room description text should be saved somewhere in the module file - or there could be a "text object" that is spawned at the passages of a room and gives out the messages if you step on it.

Possibly this skill should't be class-exclusive... but for Rogue, Elf, Tourist... there should be different messages - different persons have different ways of estimating a situation.
Zefz
Squirrel Knight (Administrator)

Post by Zefz »

Yes as he said, a lot of work to implement.
penguinflyer2222
Queen Penguin (Senior Member)
Queen Penguin (Senior Member)

Post by penguinflyer2222 »

There should be an option to turn that off, though. Would get a little annoying even if you are new to Egoboo.
Crispy
Grub Bug (Rookie)
Grub Bug (Rookie)

Post by Crispy »

Yup, that would be indeed pretty massive to implement. And it would require a lot of imagination to prevent any unnecessary and boring messages. Also should be carefull not to completely spoil traps etc... Could it be made so that these notifications shows up only at the first time the character visits the dungeon (recorded in save files, only "unlocked" ones shows up)? After beating a dungeon there could be an addition to "a journal" that would be accessible through the main menu. A journal would tie up the storyline of Egoboo more than it is tied atm. and those things are sometimes fun to read (IMO). Infact, the only thing I know is that the dragolic captured the king and you must save him, right?

I wonder if the storyline of each playable character of the Egoboo varies enough for different kind of journals. Atleast they all begins at different situations and every character has kinda different backgrounds and also the heroquests are different.

Anyways, the huge amount of experience gained through numerous adventures should benefit adventurer (archeologist and tourist also?) somehow when travelling through new dungeons.
Zefz

Post by Zefz »

Adventurers and the like gain extra bonus XP when exploring new stuff, like opening a chest, discovering a new item or reading a map and discovering secret areas. (EXPSECRET)