Many ideas I got while without internet

Have an idea or great plots for Egoboo? Post them here!

Moderator: Developers

octagon
Darkshine Knight (Extremist fanatic)

Many ideas I got while without internet

Post by octagon »

A few ideas that could possibly enhance feeling and gameplay:

* High-level Healers (and Paladins?) should have an ability that restores a small bit of health (but costs a bit mana?) if they destroy undead/demons.
* It should somehow be announced - maybe by something like "Effective!" or "Hit Weak Spot!" instead of things like "Fumble!" "Epic!" or "Godlike!" (but not things like "Bruised!" or "Badly Wounded!") - if you hit an enemy with something they are weak against ("WEAK" ID in data.txt).
* Sporks are currently practically useless as weapons, and in my opinion that is right, but I think that they should profit from the new "dexterity->attack speed" system. And when you poke someone, the spork should have some neat graphical effects - I want shiny particles! :D
And what about a special reward for finishing off a certain boss with a spork?
* A few tweaks that would enhance gameplay and increase that typically egobooish amount of gameplay details:
* Elemental attacks (especially ZAP type) should be slightly stronger in water - you all know about electricity, hot water boils you and cold water hurts you too, as you see at the beginning of Ice Palace.
* Rust eaters should somehow suffer slight negative effects when eating a kursed item.
* Disenchant should be effective against a few more enemy types - maybe it should weaken/hurt summoned monsters like mephits, zombis or the grubs and crabs from the summon spell?
* There should be a spell that destroys nearby mechanics and G'nomish tech- G'nomes have stuff efficient against mages, so mages should have stuff effective against g'nomes, too...
* Backstabbing a sneaking or invisible creature should give a special message reflecting this.
* Some NPCs, like certain Lawful Good characters or divine people (Angels) and members of the church should loathe you and refuse to heal/buff you if they see you using spells like Animate, Rot or Death Cloud, using poison or backstabbing an enemy. For most of them normal magic should be okay, though.
* Elves should somehow (special message?) express being disgusted when morphing into Lumpkin shape.
* Near magic shops, there should be a small area where you can test your spells - guards and other NPCs should not enter it, and all spell effects should be absorbed by its borders. I am really fed up of being slaughtered by guards after just testing if the book I bought contains Ring of Flames...
* Some NPCs in towns should react if you use a weapon and there are no chest mimics/other enemies nearby - it feels strange to be treated normally while fidgeting around with a super-lethal Katana that could cut the people you are talking to into small snippets within a second...
* Enemies (and not just players as well) should express anger when hit by friendly fire - e. g. by an archer cobol, a gonne lumpkin or a warlock with a fireball.
* High level rogues should gain a pickpocket skill that allows them to grab an item from enemy inventory if they are directly next to them. Success chance should be based on a check of dexterity vs. enemy dexterity.
* Some special traits should be saved in data.txt and affect the AI behavior - like "Egoistic" (Cobol), "Leader" (should be usable independently for every armor like DRES; think of cobol captains), "Sneaky" (Sneaker Cobol, Dimlock Assassin), "Lawful" (Knaves, Paladins, Elder Cleric) or "Coward" (lumpkin).
* Characters should be able to hate multiple enemy types - elves hate lumpies and dimlocks and cleric types hate undeads and demons, for example. Maybe this could be used as an expansion IDSZ?
:[HATE] [DELF]
:[HATE] [LUMP]
* Killing a hated enemy should give a special message.
"Cease to exist, vile abomination!" (Healer/Pally against undead)
* It would be very good to have an option for "deactivating" an item (putting it into inactive inventory) to prevent it from being taken out - read, this items are skipped when cycling inventory.
There could be a menu that shows all of your items like the character overview in the frontend does. This menu would allow you to click an item to toggle its "activity status" (for a logical explanation, imagine a backpack with two parts, one for active stuff and one for things you don't use while travelling). So you could quickly switch between things you need without bothering with those you don't need - and make those items available again when you need them.
Who needs a Book of Shock against Squidgies? Who fights Ulnas with a Spear? Who needs Sporks in the heat of battle? Who needs a Book of Unlock if he already unlocked everything? Who needs keys if he has got a Book of Unlock? But often you don't want to throw this stuff away... no sane person throws away their sporks. See annotation below
* Iji (Sector 5) gave me an idea: There should be a module with two hostile parties fighting each other.
* When reading OotS, I got another Egoboo idea. I always found it improbable that no forces of evil tried to gather the sporks to prevent the heroes from taking them. What if after completing the main quest, you would have access to a New Game Plus-like second playthrough with the same character? Of course, it should be notably harder, because you still have access to your trained character, like it is with a New Game +...
I imagine different groups of evil heroes approximately of the player's power on first playthrough as well as packs of typical mooks or minions (lumpkins, cobols, warlocks, mephits) attacking you while exploring the normal palaces... there could be an additional module where you storm the castle of the eeeeeevil overlord who planned this, too.
* Someone (I could imagine doing that if I have the time to) should do something like a (spoileriffic, but there should be an unspoilered version) monster database containing things like backstory, traits, alignment, strategies and such of different critters.
I have a G'nome called Wazlaf, who solely exists for taking all the stuff my elf doesn't need in the current module but still wants to keep - 4 sporks, book of shock, book of enchant...
Before doing a module, Lonil meets up with Wazlaf, who I imagine as sort of an assistant, buddy or servant, and exchanges stuff with him. ;)

* New classes:
* There should be a fast but fragile clerical class, and a squishy one totally focused on divine magic (cleric?). So far, there are only the Paladin (tank) and the Healer (jack)...
* There should be a "relict hunter"/"artifact searcher" hero class - maybe for adventurer (curiosity), archaeologist (scientific interest), rogue (greed) and paladin (duty) - that gets special bonuses like increased effectiveness for equipment (clothes, amulets, bracelets), double or triple EXP for using unknown and highly decreased stat deficits from potions?
* A bard hero class could be really nice.
Last edited by octagon on Sun May 01, 2011 3:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Zefz
Squirrel Knight (Administrator)

Post by Zefz »

* It should somehow be announced - maybe by something like "Effective!" or "Hit Weak Spot!" instead of things like "Fumble!" "Epic!" or "Godlike!" (but not things like "Bruised!" or "Badly Wounded!") - if you hit an enemy with something they are weak against ("WEAK" ID in data.txt).
This is already implemented in 2.8.0b ("It's Super Effective!")
Sporks are currently practically useless as weapons, and in my opinion that is right, but I think that they should profit from the new "dexterity->attack speed" system. And when you poke someone, the spork should have some neat graphical effects - I want shiny particles!
Should be easy to do. Just mark the sporks as weapons. The shiny particle effect would need some more work and I will need the new physics system seeing as particles dont work properly in the current SVN.
* Elemental attacks (especially ZAP type) should be slightly stronger in water - you all know about electricity, hot water boils you and cold water hurts you too, as you see at the beginning of Ice Palace.
Interesting. I have thought about this before, but I just thought of an idea how this could easily be implemented.
* Rust eaters should somehow suffer slight negative effects when eating a kursed item.
Interesting. Any suggestions to possible effects?
bgbirdsey
{]-[0{0|307 (Developer)
{]-[0{0|307 (Developer)

Post by bgbirdsey »

Zefz wrote:
octagon wrote:* Rust eaters should somehow suffer slight negative effects when eating a kursed item.
Poison, of course, though they should not be killed by poison. Maybe cursed items go in their "inventory" and are barfed up when their hp is reduced to a certain level, removing the poison effect?
octagon

Post by octagon »

bgbirdsey wrote:
Zefz wrote:
octagon wrote:* Rust eaters should somehow suffer slight negative effects when eating a kursed item.
Poison, of course, though they should not be killed by poison. Maybe cursed items go in their "inventory" and are barfed up when their hp is reduced to a certain level, removing the poison effect?
Sounds cool. :lol:
"The Cinquedea makes the rust eater feel sick."

(Oops... I just imagined people voluntarily bringing kursed items to poison him... but if I think about it, it seems quite acceptable. Innovative strategies belong to Egoboo. BTW: Could you combine Size and Morph to run around as a giant Lumpkin? ;))
Zefz

Post by Zefz »

It should be possible to combine those two spells.
octagon

Post by octagon »

And is it possible to enchant a pet? Would be funny.
Zefz

Post by Zefz »

I don't think so. The book of Enchant only affects items flagged as Weapons or Potions.

It would be pretty cool to allow for pets too though :P How this could be done I don't know atm.
woodmouse
Monolich (Senior Member)
Monolich (Senior Member)

Post by woodmouse »

Zefz wrote:I don't think so. The book of Enchant only affects items flagged as Weapons or Potions.

It would be pretty cool to allow for pets too though :P How this could be done I don't know atm.
Adding the thing that makes it work for weapons to pets?
Once upon a time, when unicorns roamed the earth...
Zefz

Post by Zefz »

That would flag pets as Weapons and the AI would think there is a weapon in his or her hand or on the ground.
octagon

Post by octagon »

What about flagging them as potions, then? :P
/me imagines a cobol who dies when trying to quaff a frog
woodmouse
Monolich (Senior Member)
Monolich (Senior Member)

Post by woodmouse »

Zefz wrote:That would flag pets as Weapons and the AI would think there is a weapon in his or her hand or on the ground.
But couldn't that be avoided?

I mean, making an "excuse" for it. For example, so that they bite/do something else like that when a non-player tries to grab them, and they'd be dropped? Kinda like the evil sword thing.
Once upon a time, when unicorns roamed the earth...
Maxaxle

Post by Maxaxle »

Zefz wrote:
Interesting. I have thought about this before, but I just thought of an idea how this could easily be implemented.
1. I think it would make more sense if the ZAP type attacks were simply enhanced against enemies in water.
Zefz wrote:
Perhaps instead of making the Rust Eater sick, as Octagon suggested, it would keep the Rust Eater from eating your weapons (as in, it's too busy trying to get the kursed weapon unstuck from its mouth to eat anything else). However, maybe eventually the rust eater would flip the weapon around to do damage to the player (the game would tell you if that happened), and after about a minute the kursed weapon would be eaten by the Rust Eater.
"Failing to plan is planning to fail."
Bug me if you want to play a game.
octagon

Post by octagon »

Also sounds quite good.
Maxaxle

Post by Maxaxle »

octagon wrote:Also sounds quite good.
Be specific, please!
"Failing to plan is planning to fail."
Bug me if you want to play a game.
octagon

Post by octagon »

Your. idea. about. rust eaters being unable to eat weapons after eating something kursed. Also sounds quite good.

I like that idea.

Specific enoguh? :|