Smaller updates before big ones...

Have an idea or great plots for Egoboo? Post them here!

Moderator: Developers

Crispy
Grub Bug (Rookie)
Grub Bug (Rookie)

Smaller updates before big ones...

Post by Crispy »

It would be really nice if every time a new version is released that the new bugs would be fixed in smaller patches before creating whole new game version and throwing new stuff in. Seriously, every version of egoboo would be a masterpiece if the new bugs were fixed before whole new game versions...

The game won't get any good reputation if a new guy comes in and the game crashes at start up or has some really annoying bugs...
Zefz wrote:KNOWN BUGS :(:
- Seems some objects are being loaded twice into the same slot see -> http://img830.imageshack.us/img830/3996/egoerror.jpg
- Menu interface bug in Linux see -> http://a.imageshack.us/img829/5305/ego11.png
- Particle end effects like "sound" or "spawn other particles" doesn't work.
- Moving particles tend to get stuck in walls.
- Imprisoned One II: After defeating the sand troll there appears no staff.
- The elemental demon can sometimes escape his prison without the locks being opened. This makes him also invincible. He's still attacking the player.
- To unlock Water palace, it is necessary to finish sand palace . But when I finished sand palace , I do not unlock water palace.
- After being poisoned the green life bar won't turn red again.
- The "fireball/flame ring seems to throw you through the ceiling, while your inventory stays where it was (but is still properly attached)" (I figured out that this seems to be what it does)
- Whips attack to fast. They also no longer spawn the small white flash.
- The green potions found in some chests can't be picked up.
- With the magic carpet I'm able to fly through doors or even walls. I think the velocity of the carpet is too high. It kinda "drills" through the walls.
- After killing guards or monsters with bombs a false message is displayed. (eg. "A guard killed a guard." "A sheep butchered a sheep"). Also the guards don't attack the player who set up the bomb. They attack the shepherd or the healer/alchemist.
- There appears to be some random crash bugs occuring making it difficult to play through the modules.
- Bear Trapped monsters can be moved around when they get bumped by allies.
- It seems there is a relative rare physcis bug that allows AI to move through solid walls.
- Zombi Starter: There was one time where the Necromancer tried to "resurrect" an adventurer and the dead adventurer disappeared.
- Zombi Starter: I don't like the running animations the zombi have. Is it okay if they're slowed down?
- Zombi Starter: A crash often occurs in the third room (probably already known).
- I know of a crash bug that I have never done anything to fix. If you play the game with sound turned off, the game will crash because the in-game music is not loaded and all the pointers are null. For some reason this is not an easy fix, but I can't remember why.
- Elf Starter:The A.I. is a little strange. I saw a Lumpkin, with two claws, running into a wall and swiping madly. Not sure what was going on. This also occurred with a Lumpkin on the left side of the fortress. Possible explanation: they were hostile to the crabs?
- There is a graphical "hiccup" when you change armor. This also occurs when you transform.
- When you drop the green spell books, they appear as red. I seem to recall a similar problem in the wizard module.
- There is no rendering at the bottom of the screen. This appears to be a trick to make the game run more smoothly (which is good), but it looks awkward at times. Is there some way to enlarge the field of view?
- This is a bit random, but clipping issues occur, making your character unable to receive damage. Perhaps this occurs after loading a module three times.
- Probably a physics problem, but blood does not dry out very quickly. This is especially noticeable in the Elf module.
- Soldier Starter: The chocobone [sic?] will sometimes run towards torches, resulting in suicide.
- The physics are very sensitive. Coffins will strongly push you away if you touch them closely (sometimes getting you into the blue blobs). As you should see in "ego00.bmp", they can even push you on top of interesting areas. Coins also bounce highly, taking longer to get, but some bounce into the walls.
- The green cube is immune to weapons. Was this intended too?
- Exploit: You can assassinate characters with bear traps.
- Identify scrolls don't work
- As all characters and on any map you sometimes just slowly slide to the left.
- Particle IfHitGround does not work.
- The fire breath from the dogs can and will hurt the rider.
- There seems to be a texture allocation bug when Restarting a module. Some objects get the skins of other objects.
- There seems to be a random crash bug somewhere.
- SetFrame doesnt seem to work properly. (see mosquitoes, they are stuck in one frame)
(Just look at it, aint there alot of annoying bugs?)

...no bug fix patches and ppl suggest downloading some ancient version of the game (looking for old archives and can't even find em anymore, might be just me though).It's like throwing away all the work the developers has done and smashing the huge potential this game holds. Bugfixes and increased stability is the thing this game needs.
Zefz
Squirrel Knight (Administrator)

Post by Zefz »

Whenever I try to rush a release, people are raging about it's instability. It seems every time we fix bugs and try to release, new issues appear.

I wanted to release Egoboo 2.8.0b last week with the following fixes: - Update: Reworked and optimized how the Ice Ray spell worked.
- Update: Added new game font that was GPL compitable.
- Update: Various modules are now slightly darker than before.
- Update: Money is easier to pick up now.
- Update: Kite Shields now have a small chance to be Kursed.
- Bugfix: When reaching the exit in the rogue starter the character kept getting infinite experience points.
- Bugfix: Fixed certain tiles in the camera view not being rendered.
- Bugfix: You can no longer interact with stuff that are inside other characters inventories.
- Bugfix: Fixed Zombi monster not attacking correctly.
- Bugfix: Added missing Mouse Mount to the Zombi Starter.
- Bugfix: Fixed control and setup settings being saved incorrectly on Linux.
- Bugfix: Fixed a graphical glitch with candles.
- Bugfix: The Iceball Wand now functions properly again.
- Bugfix: Fixed Linux issue where the game would crash on startup due invalid settings.
- Bugfix: The potion trader in Zippy can now properly use his weapon.
- Bugfix: Removed duplicate message when trying to put away kursed items.
- Bugfix: No more strange physics bugs when you drop a lit torch while moving.
- Bugfix: K'nife now properly stands on the button and no longer follows the player resulting
in the guards getting alarmed.
- Bugfix: Fixed a random crash bug in detecting collisions.
- Bugfix: Fixed various AI targeting function bugs.
- Bugfix: See Invisible now properly reveals invisible objects.
- Bugfix: Some challenges in the Archmage Trials were broken.
- Bugfix: Fixed enchants never dispelling when they should.
- Bugfix: Fixed Memory Challenge in the Archmage Trials not working.
- Bugfix: Fixed a looped sound leak in the Archmage Trials.
- Bugfix: After killing the Sand Troll the doors now open properly.
- Bugfix: Fixed Scroll of Enchant weapon becoming worthless when identified.
- Bugfix: Fixed possible bug in cities and towns that prevented exporting.
- Bugfix: Darkshine Knights can now properly see in darkness!
- Bugfix: Fixed impassable area in K'nife's Heist
- Bugfix: Fixed several modules not being marked as Beaten when won.
- Bugfix: Corrected wrong weapon names for various weapons.
- Bugfix: Fixed Deadfall traps not always triggering.
- Bugfix: Fixed numerous animation speeds being incorrect for various monsters.
- Bugfix: The AI no longer try to use the Shock spell as a ranged weapon.
- Bugfix: Fixed the scroll of Rebirth targeting dead enemies.
- Bugfix: Fixed shield blocks being incorrectly displayed.
- Bugfix: Tweaked the dismount timer so that there is less object clipping.
- Bugfix: Incorrect icon being displayed when being morphed and mounted.
- Bugfix: Fixed exporting issue when Egoboo wasn't correctly installed.
- Bugfix: The Iron Ball attached to your leg can no longer get stuck in Bear Traps.
- Bugfix: The Greenleaf plant in the Wizard Starter is now grabbable again.
- Bugfix: Potion Trader in Zippy Town correctly spawns potions again.
- Bugfix: Fixed morphed Lumpkin spell having incorrect move animation speed.
- Bugfix: Removed duplicate spellbook in Adventurer Starter
- Bugfix: The Grub Spit in Adventurer Starter should properly spawn now.
- Bugfix: Fixed splash and ripple particles being incorrectly loaded.
- Bugfix: Fixed Lava not damaging.
- Bugfix: Ghouls in the Paladin Starter should spawn properly again.
- Bugfix: Fixed the game crashing whenever you saved the Sound Settings.
- Bugfix: Setup settings are properly saved now.
- Bugfix: Fixed input settings not being properly saved on Linux.
- Bugfix: A list of minor bugs and issues.
but with my 10 kb upload speed a 200 mb upload really takes a lot of time (and it probably fails at 80% so that I have to reupload it ><).

I have the released packaged and ready on my pc :P But I can't release again unless I am sure the game runs under linux (which pf5234 cant check because of his new pc).
Seth
Chest Mimic (Community member)
Chest Mimic (Community member)

Post by Seth »

Zefz wrote:Whenever I try to rush a release, people are raging about it's instability. It seems every time we fix bugs and try to release, new issues appear.
Some of these bugs seemed to have appeared out of no-where. I am wondering if maybe there is some sort of chain-reaction going on: as if fixing one bug will cause more to appear. Do things like that happen often?
Zefz wrote:but with my 10 kb upload speed a 200 mb upload really takes a lot of time.
Do you know how much time is "a lot of time"? Just curious.
Zefz wrote:I have the released packaged and ready on my pc--
Why not upload Egoboo to a blank disc? It would be safer that way, surely.
Zefz

Post by Zefz »

It is not unusual if you fix something, it will break something else.

It takes an hour or so to upload both the Linux and Windows release.
Crispy
Grub Bug (Rookie)
Grub Bug (Rookie)

Post by Crispy »

Zefz wrote:I have the released packaged and ready on my pc :P But I can't release again unless I am sure the game runs under linux (which pf5234 cant check because of his new pc).
So there isn't anyone else who could make a test run on linux? I wonder if I could help. I have a copy of Xubuntu installed and if it isn't anything complicated I think I could help. I recall that I have installed some egoboo version on Xubuntu once or twice but can't really remember how it was done.

And about the uploading, I wonder if there is any program that could take care of the upload process more properly so that even if the internet connection gots cut at some point, or some other mishap happens the upload process could be continued without starting from the beginning. Could a torrent version of the gamerelease/update be the solution? Dunno, since I'm a nab in these things, lol.
Zefz

Post by Zefz »

I'll get fiber optic internet in a few weeks, so my upload and download brandwith won't be a problem anymore :P
penguinflyer2222
Queen Penguin (Senior Member)
Queen Penguin (Senior Member)

Post by penguinflyer2222 »

I think 5234 has Linux on his computer now, but I'm not sure if Egoboo would work.
Ponder Stibbons
Acid Blob (New member)
Acid Blob (New member)

Post by Ponder Stibbons »

I have Ubuntu on my computer, and previous versions of Egoboo worked okay, so I should be able to try out the new version. Are all the changes in the latest SVN sources?
penguinflyer5234
Sheep (Developer)
Sheep (Developer)

Post by penguinflyer5234 »

Should be.
Ponder Stibbons
Acid Blob (New member)
Acid Blob (New member)

It compiles and runs okay (the new font looks pretty nice, btw) and the only issue I've seen so far is that the left and right arrow keys both send me to the right, but that's as likely to be an issue with my own system or config as anything. I haven't tested save/load yet, but I'll let you know if it's still broken.
Ponder Stibbons
Acid Blob (New member)
Acid Blob (New member)

Alright, the controller issue seems to, in fact, be in egoboo somewhere. Both the left and right keys (whatever I set them to) move me right, and both the up and down keys move me down. Mouse control works okay though, as do item/inventory management.

Save and load does not seem to work (Beat a module, click save, and nothing appears in the list of saves.)