Fast weapon cooldown

Have an idea or great plots for Egoboo? Post them here!

Moderator: Developers

Maxaxle
Darkshine Knight (Extremist fanatic)

Post by Maxaxle »

Clonkinator wrote:*le bump*

A much simpler and, in my opinion, better solution to this would be to give more enemies ranged attacks. Not necessarily those almost-impossible-to-dodge longbows or crossbows, but rather some kind of ranged attack that isn't very hard to dodge if you keep moving.
Not a bad idea, but that could be really annoying if you don't have anything but short-range weapons and a slowish character. Perhaps ranged weapons could also be nerfed slightly (slower swing rates?).
"Failing to plan is planning to fail."
Bug me if you want to play a game.
Shade
Potion Mimic (Senior Member)

Post by Shade »

Maxaxle wrote:

A much simpler and, in my opinion, better solution to this would be to give more enemies ranged attacks. Not necessarily those almost-impossible-to-dodge longbows or crossbows, but rather some kind of ranged attack that isn't very hard to dodge if you keep moving.
Not a bad idea, but that could be really annoying if you don't have anything but short-range weapons and a slowish character. Perhaps ranged weapons could also be nerfed slightly (slower swing rates?).
That's why I said it should be something that's not too hard to dodge. And really slow characters like adventurers, soldiers or paladins often carry shields instead, so they should be fine, too.
Maxaxle

Post by Maxaxle »

Clonkinator wrote:
Maxaxle wrote:

That's why I said it should be something that's not too hard to dodge. And really slow characters like adventurers, soldiers or paladins often carry shields instead, so they should be fine, too.
Do I sense a shield price drop? [/kidding]
Maybe shields should be a touch more common in shops, as many monsters already carry them.
"Failing to plan is planning to fail."
Bug me if you want to play a game.
Crispy
Grub Bug (Rookie)
Grub Bug (Rookie)

Post by Crispy »

If you are worried about ppl standing in a place and holding the attack button why not make a new feature that "stuns" if he/she turns around too many times without moving much in either X or Y direction. Crazily turning around numerous times would make your head dizzy anyways in real life why not in the Egoboo aswell. Standing in the corner of the room while using shield and sword on the other hand is called a tactic instead of turnaroundwhileholdingabutton -glitch or sth >_>
octagon

Post by octagon »

Sounds like a nice and creative kind of anti-camping device. Very Egobooish! :D
Shade

Post by Shade »

There is one major flaw with this "stun" idea - why would you ever need to turn around in the first place if you're using a sword? The wide arc covers the entire area in front of your character and is capable of hitting multiple enemies at once. No turning around necessary.

Just giving more enemies ranged attacks is a better solution. As a nice side effect, it not only discourages standing in one spot spamming the attack button, but it also makes battles against such enemies legitimately more challenging (as in, it doesn't just increase their stats).
Agent of Dread
Protector (Senior Member)
Protector (Senior Member)

Post by Agent of Dread »

I like Clonks' idea, it would add a lot more variety to the game.
- Linktree: linktr.ee/trilbs -
Crispy
Grub Bug (Rookie)
Grub Bug (Rookie)

Post by Crispy »

Clonkinator wrote:There is one major flaw with this "stun" idea - why would you ever need to turn around in the first place if you're using a sword? ...

... Just giving more enemies ranged attacks is a better solution. As a nice side effect, it not only discourages standing in one spot spamming the attack button, but it also makes battles against such enemies legitimately more challenging (as in, it doesn't just increase their stats).
First of all the idea of increasing the amount of ranged enemys is a good idea as well but has got a flaw just like mine. If more ranged monsters were added that would cause ranged monsters to hurt possibly each other or atleast the mele monsters that are trying to possibly atk at same time. The only way to make this work would be to increase the AI of the enemys by making the enemys intelligent enough to dodge the range atks of their mates before they shoots. This would also possibly give the chance for the player to counter atk the ranged monsters with ranged atks while the mele ones takes a few side steps to avoid being hit by their mates.

The second thing is a patent for my own stun suggestion. There could be something like swift three or two hit combo (two hit combo, from left to right following from right to left?) with sword and after that a short cooldown (time to use shield or run/dodge!) before you can replay the same combo. That would strongly encourage player to watch out the timing of the attacks instead of the mindles button bashing. On the other hand, as mentioned before, Egoboo works nicely as button bashing game xD
Okay, maybe the combo idea is a bit too used in gaming world. Instead, would it be possible to make a bit randomed combo? Would it be possible to give soldier like three different attack types (slash, stab, crush?) and each time player presses the button one of these atk types happens but in random orders (atk type randomed on each atk). Player could not stand and hit the button cuz if the slash won't happen each time the camping technique won't work.
Shade

Post by Shade »

Crispy wrote:
Clonkinator wrote:There is one major flaw with this "stun" idea - why would you ever need to turn around in the first place if you're using a sword? ...

... Just giving more enemies ranged attacks is a better solution. As a nice side effect, it not only discourages standing in one spot spamming the attack button, but it also makes battles against such enemies legitimately more challenging (as in, it doesn't just increase their stats).
First of all the idea of increasing the amount of ranged enemys is a good idea as well but has got a flaw just like mine. If more ranged monsters were added that would cause ranged monsters to hurt possibly each other or atleast the mele monsters that are trying to possibly atk at same time. The only way to make this work would be to increase the AI of the enemys by making the enemys intelligent enough to dodge the range atks of their mates before they shoots. This would also possibly give the chance for the player to counter atk the ranged monsters with ranged atks while the mele ones takes a few side steps to avoid being hit by their mates.
There is one very simple solution to this: disable friendly fire for those ranged attacks. As we should not be using crossbows or longbows for this purpose anyway (as those are nearly impossible to dodge without a shield), we'd probably need to make a new projectile type anyway, and that could just not have friendly fire enabled.
octagon

Post by octagon »

:agree:

How about some new kind of cheap magical weapon working like a wand (with unlimited charges?) that flings some kind of energy ball or ray?
Zefz
Squirrel Knight (Administrator)
Squirrel Knight (Administrator)

Post by Zefz »

I implemented the shield block system for a little more depth to combat. If a shield successfully blocks an attack, the attacker is stunned for 1 second. The same happens to the defender if an attacker breaks the shield block of a defender.

Also, we could have an option in the menu, some sort of realism mode that disables or enables friendly fire.

We could also implement a more advanced AI script that calculates if it should shoot or not.
Crispy
Grub Bug (Rookie)
Grub Bug (Rookie)

Post by Crispy »

Looks like the idea of adding more enemys is the best one.

And yes, enemys should definately have some kind of team AI. Like if there is two mele units and lets say one range unit the mele units should try to atk the player from different sides (left, right) leaving open space for the range monster to shoot. Ofcource that should only aply to monsters carrying weapons and not on something like trenches (or what ever, those green jumping fellows, you know...) The friendly fire would not be fun but range monsters should definately pay more attention when to shoot and when not to.How about adding a small dealy after the calculation of firing so that even if the monster decides to shoot there would be a chance of hiting his ally if one decides to step in front of the missile? That would just prevent the continuous hurting of own allys but would still allow the... mishappenings? :roll:

EDIT: no friendly fire cuz that's the salt of the game in my oppinion