Revamping the Vampire

Have an idea or great plots for Egoboo? Post them here!

Moderator: Developers

Zefz
Squirrel Knight (Administrator)

Revamping the Vampire

Post by Zefz »

Not only to bring up a old pun, but I was thinking of maybe replacing the current Vampire model with something a bit more Egobooish. We don't use Vladula the playable Vampire yet (have no fear, we might yet implement him), but he might be cool as an enemy as well. The change isn't only cosmetic:
- The vampire will become smaller.
- No longer flying.
- Faster and maybe a good jumper (like assassins, jungle cats or bludhawk)
- I was thinking of implementing a new feature: Vampire's fear of crossing water. This can be exploited by standing in water and taking out vampires with ranged weapons ;)

Notice that I also suggest a name change from Vampire to Vampyrie (or anyone else know something more Egobooish?)

Note: This is birdsey's new vampire model with wings included!
Agent of Dread
Protector (Senior Member)
Protector (Senior Member)

Post by Agent of Dread »

I quite like Vampyrie, actually. :)
- Linktree: linktr.ee/trilbs -
Cimeries
Lumberjack (Developer)
Lumberjack (Developer)

Post by Cimeries »

Purple's original name was "Vampyre". I like that, no need for that i.
Also, that no water thing may create a problem in the Abyss 2, where there are several of them spawned over water.
:wink:
Zefz

Post by Zefz »

Cimeries wrote:Purple's original name was "Vampyre". I like that, no need for that i.
Also, that no water thing may create a problem in the Abyss 2, where there are several of them spawned over water.

Yeah, couldn't remember exactly what purple called them. And I know about the Abyss 1. I thought of simply replacing those vampires with some other monster... And maybe replace the Ghuul trap with a Vampyre trap :P
octagon
Darkshine Knight (Extremist fanatic)

Post by octagon »

The vampire of Birdsey seems very good and Egobooish.

What about Vampryre? ;)
bgbirdsey
{]-[0{0|307 (Developer)
{]-[0{0|307 (Developer)

Post by bgbirdsey »

The model is squerkle's, I think, I just did the skinning from his original bitmap.

I think that there is a movement animation that is Vladula flying. Maybe movement walk B, walk C, and walk D are flying?
Zefz

Post by Zefz »

I checked through the animations and couldn't find anything that looked like flying... I think you are correct though. I remember squerkle mentioning it.
woodmouse
Monolich (Senior Member)
Monolich (Senior Member)

Post by woodmouse »

I don't like it... :(

I mean, I like it, but I liked the old one better... What about keeping the old ones in the Abyss? I mean, that way there wouldn't be any problems there, and... well... that way both could still be used...
Once upon a time, when unicorns roamed the earth...
octagon

Post by octagon »

What if one special vampire or a whole subspecies of them could morph into the old version? That seems to me like a very nice way of using both just to satisfy everyone.

What I can see from the picture, is kind of an oversized demonic object, a bit like a mephit. A thing with wings.
penguinflyer2222
Queen Penguin (Senior Member)

Post by penguinflyer2222 »

Well.. I think I'd rather have the old one. It makes things less complicated.. and then if the Vampyre ever gets in the game it wouldn't be confusing with the monster one..
And then having the one intended to be a character as a monster just looks weird. lol
Zefz

Post by Zefz »

They are already in the latest revision. You should see them ingame yourself before judging them :P
Maxaxle

Post by Maxaxle »

This is a good idea IMO, as it separates vampiric-type creatures from Mephit-type creatures.
"Failing to plan is planning to fail."
Bug me if you want to play a game.
penguinflyer2222

Post by penguinflyer2222 »

Well if someone would install svn :P
PurpleSquerkle
Massive Gelfeet (Developer)
Massive Gelfeet (Developer)

Post by PurpleSquerkle »

Wait, that model is working now?! Are the grips set up correctly?

I think the idea was that he hovered over the ground slightly and flapped his wings for the running animation... But I may not have actually ever set that up. I know I did with one version of the model, but that might have been the time I tried to add in new wings from scratch, and that one had grip issues...
I think I was also going to make the wings flap when he jumped, so he could perform many very small jumps, effectively flying... But again, I don't remember if that's actually what the animation is like.

Naturally, I approve of the spelling "vampyre"... and this whole idea in general, especially since it puts you that much closer to the playable vampyre. If people show an interest in making that happen, I will reskin him at the speed of light! (It's kind of ugly at the moment, but I don't have the motivation to fix it... Because, as I have already stated, I have generally moved on to other things and am not officially here anymore.)
octagon

Post by octagon »

I would really like a playable vampyre class and the general new vampyre enemy - the model is really nice and it would be sad if it ends up used for nothing...