[Idea] Egoboo Online?

Have an idea or great plots for Egoboo? Post them here!

Moderator: Developers

VictorLara
Acid Blob (New member)
Acid Blob (New member)

[Idea] Egoboo Online?

Post by VictorLara »

Egoboo.. I was playing when I realized he has a very good gameplay, and would make a great MMORPG, is not it?

I came here to give this idea, because if the egoboo inventase an online game so I would play every day, I'm Brazilian ^ ^

WHAT do you think?
Lutar pela verdade, com amor e razão. \m/
penguinflyer2222
Queen Penguin (Senior Member)
Queen Penguin (Senior Member)

Post by penguinflyer2222 »

I don't think it would make a great MMORPG.
penguinflyer5234
Sheep (Developer)
Sheep (Developer)

Post by penguinflyer5234 »

Ya gotta have the networking before you can have the MMORPG. :)
Ditto
Jungle Warrior (Committed contributor)

Post by Ditto »

First of all, networking doesn't work in the first place.

Secondly, egoboo doesn't need to be an mmo, and it shouldn't be, in my opinion. Egoboo is great how it is- it's fun, quirky, and generally a happy experience to play in its current form with one to four players, but there would be problems in the form of game balance if it was mmo-ized. My heart would break if egoboo changed from the cute game that it was to a bunch of people abusing the poor game, searching like hell for game-breaking features, calling each other noobs, and abusing said features so that everyone has less fun. Mmo's can be good, but egoboo would not make a good one.

Thirdly, I doubt that the project has the resources required to create an mmo, even if networking did work, since this is kind of an open source, customizable rpg, and is free to play- how would the game get ads? How would the game get servers and maintenance? Players would be screaming and swearing at poor Zefz and Bgbirdsey for updates and changes that they couldn't handle.

Anyway, my point is, I don't think this would work. Sorry for any unintended rudeness.
:)
"It only hurts when my squad won't f***ing heal me."

http://guildedage.net/
bgbirdsey
{]-[0{0|307 (Developer)
{]-[0{0|307 (Developer)

Post by bgbirdsey »

Interesting idea, VictorLara, what do you think would have to change for this to work?
Maxaxle
Darkshine Knight (Extremist fanatic)

Post by Maxaxle »

I don't think Egoboo would work as an MMO what with players being able to kill each other. Think of the spawnkilling and betrayal!

At most, we should have something similar to an FPS: all players have the same equipment, stats, etc. and win by skill.
"Failing to plan is planning to fail."
Bug me if you want to play a game.
Zefz
Squirrel Knight (Administrator)

Post by Zefz »

This has been suggested before :P

Networking and online play would be great for Egoboo in my opinion. But the word MMO might be misused in this case. MMO means Massive-Online-Multiplayer meaning it has to support anywhere from hundreds to thousands of players playing the same game at the same time. 8 players playing the same game is not MMO. Everything in Egoboo so far indicates player support up to 4 (anymore would get confusing and messy, unless you play 4 vs 4 in deathmatch). The code in Egoboo virtually supports up to 8 players (but no modules so far can support that!).

Wiki definition on MMO: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Massively_ ... nline_game
bgbirdsey
{]-[0{0|307 (Developer)
{]-[0{0|307 (Developer)

Post by bgbirdsey »

maybe it should be mMO = micro Multiplayer Online? or maybe we could say uMO, since u stands in for the Greek letter mu which often means micro?
VictorLara
Acid Blob (New member)
Acid Blob (New member)

Can work

Post by VictorLara »

I also thought that the first egoboo the way it is, it would be kinda bad because of some systems, but if we adapt the game, change some rules, improve, do not think I'm talking about changing the game for the worse, but rather make the game better for several players to understand, the game would be very good fun, various, egoboo imagine you having to upload your level demonstrating his ability as a team, one holding the shield and spear, while a magician uses his spells to kill your enemy, it would be great to!

If we exchange the right ideas, work the right way, to make the game be good, not bad, it will be worth much just, because the game would be able to compete against several popular games, can yield very well this idea .

Stay there my comment, I want this game turn into a MMORPG! But small changes for the better and not worse. ^ ^
Lutar pela verdade, com amor e razão. \m/
Zefz

Post by Zefz »

bgbirdsey wrote:maybe it should be mMO = micro Multiplayer Online? or maybe we could say uMO, since u stands in for the Greek letter mu which often means micro?

Inventing our own game genre ftw :P
octagon

Post by octagon »

Of course it would be great. But I agree to Zefz: the thing I imagine is not hundreds of players in a single world (that wouldn't really fit Egoboo), but rather a small group of players, teaming up up to a Five Man Band via network and each playing their characters. A soldier who fights in the front and tanks everything, a mage (or DragonHide! elf, but that's just my personal flavor ;)) who slays them at range, a DPS-wise skilled rogue and a healer who restores them... then the advantages of the classes could become more important and gameplay would become... three-dimensional, metaphorically spoken.

µMO ftw.
Ditto

Post by Ditto »

...Rogues don't really deal that much damage normally, do they? Most of it comes from backstabbing and stuff (although, if the enemy was facing a tank guy, that would be easy to get, I guess.)

Blech, :offtopic:

Anyway, I guess around 8 players would work fine, but I still don't like the mmo idea...

Agent of Dread
Protector (Senior Member)
Protector (Senior Member)

Post by Agent of Dread »

It's an open source community, so as much as you may not like the idea, you can't stop VL from saying what they wanna say, not to say you're really doing that.
- Linktree: linktr.ee/trilbs -
Ditto

Post by Ditto »

I'm just stating my opinion, so please don't stop me from saying what I want to say. I know that I can't stop him from saying what he wants to say, and that wasn't my intention in the first place.

Cimeries
Lumberjack (Developer)
Lumberjack (Developer)

Post by Cimeries »

Agent of Dread wrote:open source community

So what, I am open source now?

Egoboo being open source means that he can do it himself if he wants to. It doesn't mean that we have to listen to his ideas or even consider them (see: the Nethack development scene), we're doing that because we're courteous.
:wink: