[Idea] Egoboo Online?

Have an idea or great plots for Egoboo? Post them here!

Moderator: Developers

Agent of Dread
Protector (Senior Member)

Post by Agent of Dread »

I must be getting parts of the forum etiquette mixed up with OS guidelines...
- Linktree: linktr.ee/trilbs -
penguinflyer2222
Queen Penguin (Senior Member)
Queen Penguin (Senior Member)

Post by penguinflyer2222 »

I think we could just have networking and then set it up kinda like Wesnoth where you can have public games that anyone can join or a private game. And then you can start it whenever you want.
octagon
Darkshine Knight (Extremist fanatic)

Post by octagon »

We definitely should have that. If possible, with a 'lobby' for each hosted game where you can chat, inform each others about round preferences and set up network options.
(Clonkinator? If you didn't stop playing Clonk before Net2/Clonk Rage came out, you'll know what I'm talking about. ;)
Agent of Dread

Post by Agent of Dread »

I liked the original network idea as well, with the sort of 'one player hosts, three other players connect and local-style play ensues' type thing.
woodmouse
Monolich (Senior Member)
Monolich (Senior Member)

Post by woodmouse »

I really disagree with this idea...

I mean, first of all, Egoboo is a small, non-popular game, and I like it that way. I mean, it's one of the reasons I like it; almost no one knows of its existence.

If Egoboo was made a MMO, that would bring hundreds of new users to the forums, and make it ungood (I say "ungood" because "bad" isn't the right word).
Once upon a time, when unicorns roamed the earth...
Shade
Potion Mimic (Senior Member)

Post by Shade »

woodmouse wrote:I really disagree with this idea...

I mean, first of all, Egoboo is a small, non-popular game, and I like it that way. I mean, it's one of the reasons I like it; almost no one knows of its existence.

If Egoboo was made a MMO, that would bring hundreds of new users to the forums, and make it ungood (I say "ungood" because "bad" isn't the right word).
What. When did popularity suddenly become bad?
octagon

Post by octagon »

Woody.

Now, we are not talking about a MMO anymore, but about small separated network games.

Otherwise, I agree with Clonks.
woodmouse
Monolich (Senior Member)
Monolich (Senior Member)

Post by woodmouse »

Clonkinator wrote:

Well, I mean...

Just like the Wesnoth forums...

People are nice, but suddenly, there pops 1000 people out of nowhere, who just complain, and never reply to people's answers. And also, moderators would become angry & evil... Even if they don't want to, they just will become like that...
Once upon a time, when unicorns roamed the earth...
Shade

Post by Shade »

woodmouse wrote:
Clonkinator wrote:

Well, I mean...

Just like the Wesnoth forums...

People are nice, but suddenly, there pops 1000 people out of nowhere, who just complain, and never reply to people's answers. And also, moderators would become angry & evil... Even if they don't want to, they just will become like that...
Who gives a damn about trolls?
And why do you think you that the moderators in this forum are guaranteed to become "angry and evil" if more people show up? Your post makes no sense, woody.
octagon

Post by octagon »

Don't offend Zefz, Cimeries and the others - they did nothing wrong... and neither means networking huge popularity nor means (small) popularity hordes of noobs overrunning us. I know it if a game becomes "overnoobed", what slightly happened to Clonk... but networking is no apocalypse.
Cimeries
Lumberjack (Developer)
Lumberjack (Developer)

Post by Cimeries »

woodmouse wrote:And also, moderators would become angry & evil...
Too late for that I believe. Muahahaha.

I don't necessarily agree with Woody, but I can understand his point. If 90% of everyone are jerks and stupid (and they are, and this is an understatement), having more people increases the probability of interacting with jerks and dummkopfs on a daily basis, and we don't want that.
:wink:
Agent of Dread

Post by Agent of Dread »

Cimeries wrote:90% of everyone are jerks and stupid (and they are, and this is an understatement)
Finally, someone who shares my point of view.
octagon

Post by octagon »

:agree:
That is why it mostly sucks to interact with people. Even people you liked often turn out to be morons or turn into them when surrounding themselves with too many.
Dark
Tranch (Novice)
Tranch (Novice)

Re: [Idea] Egoboo Online?

Post by Dark »

I agree with Ditto that Egoboo probably wouldnt work well as a MMO.
Theres really huge difference in player expirience between a single player and a MMO.
In single player you can always feel strong and cool winning with your character.
In MMO its really difficult to make players feel anything more than an ant among thousand others.

These days everyone keeps shouting about MMOs all over while most dont realise what it actually comes with.
Due to some reasons single player games have greater potential of being entertaining.

Implementation difficulties aside, one thing I would suggest in this direction would simply be a game hosting server.
Once Egoboo got a multiplayer mode we could get more players and just more easily arrange games with one another if we could host and join games with click of a button.
Of course server would come up with costs which is a problem but on the other hand the application itself would be pretty simple.
Just keeping and sharing the IPs of hosted games (as the minimum functionality version).

One more problem that would come with this solution is player character protection.
There would surely be enough people who, once figured out how to tinker with files, would abuse the game for the sake of showing off in multiplayer.
Of course I realise theres very limited protection that can be offered in an open source game but even some kind of character data encoding would be enough to discourage a lot of people from cheating. Not everyone is a programmer.

All these are far future plans of course. Nothing for now.
Might be a thing worth to ponder over though.
Lordofdragonss
Chest Mimic (Community member)
Chest Mimic (Community member)

Re: [Idea] Egoboo Online?

Post by Lordofdragonss »

I love the idea of playing with you guys!

It could be made just like the minecraft LAN servers work. This + hamachi = Great multi fun!
Image FEED ME!