Revising damage feedback

Have an idea or great plots for Egoboo? Post them here!

Moderator: Developers

Zefz
Squirrel Knight (Administrator)

Post by Zefz »

Isn't that a bit overkill? :P I don't think the player will recognize the ping transparency as feedback on how effective a block is. (how does one measure the effectiveness of a block anyway?)
bgbirdsey
{]-[0{0|307 (Developer)
{]-[0{0|307 (Developer)

Post by bgbirdsey »

block effectiveness = actualdamage / (damage.base + damage.rand)

Oh, I noticed that you got some revisions in ahead of me. I tried to merge your ideas and mine.

We still need feedback on the absolute and relative magnitude of the blows, but the idea of describing the wounds is also good... maybe spawn 2 different billboards?
Zefz

Post by Zefz »

As Clonks noted, the screen might get a bit cluttered with all those billboards. But a typical way of doing this in RPG games is having a billboard over the enemy for their injury level (Red colour) and another billboard over the player for the amount of damage he dealt (white colour). And then also simply have a game option to disable one of the billboards.

I also just added some code so that characters with status display do not show billboards for their injury level.
bgbirdsey
{]-[0{0|307 (Developer)
{]-[0{0|307 (Developer)

Post by bgbirdsey »

Yeah, well that is the problem with generating a new billboard on every successful hit. Before, they were only generated if something exceptional happened, though Sir Brom almost always got a "Devastating!" when attacking grub bugs... ;)
bgbirdsey
{]-[0{0|307 (Developer)
{]-[0{0|307 (Developer)

Post by bgbirdsey »

I took your suggestion of moving some common code into the chr_make_text_billboard() function and ran with it. The options are now passed by a bitmask, and it cleaned up the code nicely. Some of them should probably be moved into the source billboard generator.