Egoboo article

Anything that is egoboo-related, but not "development". Stories, "fan-art", media mentions, articles...

Moderator: Developers

Dark
Tranch (Novice)
Tranch (Novice)

Egoboo article

Post by Dark »

Ive decided to write a series of articles I called "Gamers Treasure".
The idea is to highlight most valueable and underappreciated free games I know.
I thought Egoboo definitely deserved a spot so I wrote an article about it.
Egoboo article

Also if anyone got any good games that would deserve an article in there, feel free to suggest me something.

Of course, if youd be interested in the articles be sure to keep an eye on them. Im trying to point out really good free games.
Agent of Dread
Protector (Senior Member)

Re: Egoboo article

Post by Agent of Dread »

http://remar.se/daniel/iji.php

All of my that link.
Also welcome back. :P
- Linktree: linktr.ee/trilbs -
Dark
Tranch (Novice)
Tranch (Novice)

Post by Dark »

Thanks! I guess I indeed havent been here for quite a while.

I guess I should try Iji eventually... Ive seen the game all over since ages but never really had time nor will to try.
Hyper Princess Pitch and Garden Gnome Carnage look funny and crazy. I might check those out too.
Thanks for the link!
Agent of Dread

Post by Agent of Dread »

Garden Gnome Carnage is an immensely satisfying game. :P
octagon
Darkshine Knight (Extremist fanatic)

Post by octagon »

The Egoboo article is pretty great... you summed up rather well why exactly Egoboo is good and enjoyable.

As a tangentially related note, Egoboo now has a tropes (this seemed like the best place to put it).
Shade
Potion Mimic (Senior Member)

Post by Shade »

octagon wrote:As a tangentially related note, Egoboo now has a tropes (this seemed like the best place to put it).
Are you the one who wrote that trope page? There are some things there that seem incorrect/lacking to me:

- Annoying Arrows: "At first glance they deal crappy damage"... ...Hell no. They completely ignore defense (well, regular x-bows do, at least), so unless your armor specifically gives you resistance to POKE damage, you'll always take the full 3-6 points of damage, which isn't very pleasant for the less resilient characters like elves, rogues, wizards or even adventurers (as most of the adventurer's durability comes from his armor, not from his HP).
Arrows are all-around powerful in this game. Even if they didn't pierce defense, their base damage would still outclass most melee weapons.

- Artificial Stupidity: That's exaggerated. They don't make much of an effort to dodge enemy attacks, but if they have a shield, they'll usually block somewhat well. Brom and Mim never died to grub bugs for me, they always either died to the trogs or the grub mum.

- Cast from Hit Points: There's also an amulet that gives anyone the same effect, not just healers. I believe Zippy sells it on occassion.

- Status Buff: "[...] though the latter can only be used on yourself." ...last time I checked, you could cast Protection on allies as well, which is an arcane spell. I feel like this is missing a "most of".
Dark
Tranch (Novice)
Tranch (Novice)

Post by Dark »

octagon wrote:The Egoboo article is pretty great... you summed up rather well why exactly Egoboo is good and enjoyable.
Im glad you liked it. Thanks!
If only it wasnt so long... It was supposed to be much shorter than this.
I guess thats what happens when you write about what you like in Egoboo though.
octagon

Post by octagon »

Shade wrote:Are you the one who wrote that trope page? There are some things there that seem incorrect/lacking to me:
Yeah, I wrote the page, including all the dumb mistakes.
Shade wrote: - Annoying Arrows: "At first glance they deal crappy damage"... ...Hell no. They completely ignore defense (well, regular x-bows do, at least), so unless your armor specifically gives you resistance to POKE damage, you'll always take the full 3-6 points of damage, which isn't very pleasant for the less resilient characters like elves, rogues, wizards or even adventurers (as most of the adventurer's durability comes from his armor, not from his HP).
Arrows are all-around powerful in this game. Even if they didn't pierce defense, their base damage would still outclass most melee weapons.
Maybe that impression just stems from my sucky aim that apparently made me compare a single arrow with multiple weapon hits without noticing...
Shade wrote: - Artificial Stupidity: That's exaggerated. They don't make much of an effort to dodge enemy attacks, but if they have a shield, they'll usually block somewhat well. Brom and Mim never died to grub bugs for me, they always either died to the trogs or the grub mum.
For me, Brom and Mim usually try to kill every single grub bug around, and let them walk right into them.
Maybe, the problem came from the fact that I was playing the SVN version with the collision check issue, so they need several attempts to hit one.

Do you have any idea for a suitable page image?
Agent of Dread

Post by Agent of Dread »

Either something with the title image or a screenshot with messages that well demonstrate the occasional silliness Egoboo gets up to, I'd say.
Shade

Post by Shade »

octagon wrote:Yeah, I wrote the page, including all the dumb mistakes.
Awww, come on. I know I can sound a bit negative at times, but I didn't mean to imply it was bad.
octagon wrote:Maybe that impression just stems from my sucky aim that apparently made me compare a single arrow with multiple weapon hits without noticing...
Well yeah, if you keep missing, they're not that good a weapon. :P
octagon wrote:For me, Brom and Mim usually try to kill every single grub bug around, and let them walk right into them.
They do try to kill every grub bug they encounter, but usually they should be attacking and hitting them before actually bumping into them, with the resulting knockback dealt to the grub keeping them out of harm's way.
Of course, that's in the stable version (2.6.3). It's very possible that the continuous physics changes in the newer versions broke that AI by messing up the knockback and/or hit detection.
octagon wrote:Do you have any idea for a suitable page image?
I'm not good when it comes to things like these, but maybe an image that shows off some of the more silly trademark Egoboo enemies, like COBOLs or Lumpkins. Maybe an image from the Ash Palace would be good for that purpose. (Maybe show the COBOLs and the Lumpkins in the corner of the map fighting each other?)

Oh, also, I have something to add to Cycle of Hurting (if I'm interpreting it correctly): Characters with high DEX can effectively stunlock almost any enemy with a fast weapon like a spear or a cinquedea, especially against a wall. Even most bosses, like the daemon lord, are suspectible to this when using appropriate weaponry.
octagon

Post by octagon »

Okay, I added it.

Is there an actual story behind "Baseball Kirby!", or is it just a random Smash Bros. Brawl reference?
Cimeries
Lumberjack (Developer)
Lumberjack (Developer)

Post by Cimeries »

Supposedly something Aaron's younger sibling or relative used to say.
:wink:
penguinflyer5234
Sheep (Developer)
Sheep (Developer)

Post by penguinflyer5234 »

Yes, Baseball Kirby is a Super Smash Bros. Brawl reference because Brawl came out in 2000... :)

(It's what Cimeries said)
Maxaxle

Post by Maxaxle »

1: http://www.moddb.com/mods/too-many-crates
2: Vega Strike. http://vegastrike.sourceforge.net/
3. Rigs of Rods. http://www.rigsofrods.com
4. Battlecruiser Millenium. Publisher released it for free ~12 years ago, but they don't host it, so here's a Gamer's Hell link: http://www.gamershell.com/download_9337.shtml
May or may not be your kind of game. Personally, I struggle to remember keyboard shortcuts but don't want to print out the
massive manual.
5. Orion: Dino Beatdown. $10 over Steam. Underappreciated IMO, but YMMV.
Last edited by Maxaxle on Mon Jul 09, 2012 11:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Failing to plan is planning to fail."
Bug me if you want to play a game.
penguinflyer5234
Sheep (Developer)
Sheep (Developer)

Post by penguinflyer5234 »

Hey Maxaxle, he said free games. Number 5 is not free. Half-Life 2 is not free and 1 is a mod for Half-Life 2 :|