!!!!Hard drive crash!!!

All general stuff game related to Egoboo gameplay (Characters, tactics, etc.).

Moderator: Developers

bgbirdsey
{]-[0{0|307 (Developer)
{]-[0{0|307 (Developer)

!!!!Hard drive crash!!!

Post by bgbirdsey »

Well, so much for development of EgoMap. Since I have lost the project 2 times, I think someone might be trying to tell me something!

I have another computer, thankfully, so I can do development there. One problem is that I have to sat up all of the libraries for windows, and I do not have a supported graphics card for *nix.

In the mean time, I am just on the cusp of porting Cartman over to wxWidgets. If I can do this successfully, I should be able to import all of the EgoMap functions one at a time to make a Franken-editor.
Zefz
Squirrel Knight (Administrator)

Post by Zefz »

You do commit the code regularly right? That way you only lose the IDE and all the libraries and not the code itself! The most horrifying thing is to develop something and lose all work due to HD crash or similar :(

(franken-editor? combining parts from both cartman and egomap into a monstrous editor?)
bgbirdsey
{]-[0{0|307 (Developer)
{]-[0{0|307 (Developer)

Post by bgbirdsey »

Yes, you got the Frankenstein reference right.

Well, I did loose all the "improvements" to EgoMap twice. I was using a local svn... but I guess I should have located it on my removable hard drive! Too bad I got absolutely no warning. Last time I had a crash, there were symptoms leading up to it, but I didn't realize what they were until too late.
bgbirdsey
{]-[0{0|307 (Developer)
{]-[0{0|307 (Developer)

Post by bgbirdsey »

I have the program compiling and running on the windows side of my dual-boot machine... RIP laptop...
Zefz

Post by Zefz »

Sweet. Reminds me I need to make a backup on my laptop :P
Maxaxle
Darkshine Knight (Extremist fanatic)
Darkshine Knight (Extremist fanatic)

Post by Maxaxle »

<---Has a crapcomp up in his room for backing up important files that aren't written on CDs.
"Failing to plan is planning to fail."
Bug me if you want to play a game.
Alazamir
Tome Mimic (Ex-Developer)
Tome Mimic (Ex-Developer)

Post by Alazamir »

try replacing the controller board on the harddrive, with a identical one. If it was a physical hardware issue half the time it is that, the other thing is if its a software issue, try using a program called spinrite against the disk, wich is made by gibson research. If it is a bad partition you can always use data forensic software to retain the software.
through thorn of thick and lands of plenty came Alazamir to the many
www.techywizard.com