Elves and me

All general stuff game related to Egoboo gameplay (Characters, tactics, etc.).

Moderator: Developers

Crispy
Grub Bug (Rookie)
Grub Bug (Rookie)

Elves and me

Post by Crispy »

Didn't find any better place for eleven class discussion in general. This is probably the right place, right? So, discussion and playing experiences about elves should be posted here.

The very first character I actualy wished to play was elf and that wasn't actually the best choise for a newbie >_> after finding the right way to use one it actually turned out pretty good character choice. Used to play first few levels using almost only fire ball cuz elf regenerates mana ALOT. Later begun to use long bow with book of enchant and strength amulet and that turned out to be an imba combination, seriously. just when i thought it couldn't get any better i invented something even more intteresting. Two magic crosbows with a book of enchant... yup, possible to hold back even tranches even if attacking from front and no need to hold str amulet anymore. in older version it was possible to hold even two enemies back at same time. Also Book of protection and Truesight seems to work well on some levels.
Last edited by Crispy on Sun Apr 11, 2010 3:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Zefz
Squirrel Knight (Administrator)
Squirrel Knight (Administrator)

Post by Zefz »

A few versions ago a Elf with a book of unseen was the best combo against most enemies in the game.
Ryrgwryr
Grub Bug (Rookie)
Grub Bug (Rookie)

Post by Ryrgwryr »

Actually, you can sustain Protection, Shield(or Battleward however it is right now) AND Enchant on high enough lvl and with Bracelet of Wizardry and Mageblade. Not sure if Mageblade is necessary, that spells though, give insane reduction, that is 3 for all damage types excluding holy(which is inverted anyway). That's 1/8 damage + defence you have from armor. Elves can actually be pretty decent tanks especially considering their major flaws like low hp and mana that can be easily fixed with hp potions and uhh, mushrooms, tons of them. I think Orb of Wonder can also fix low str (and basically all other stats... with 40wisdom it's guaranteed) but you need to become Archmage for that, unless it's targeted spell. I'm not sure, I only read the script :P

Also... Am I the only person that never uses bow on elf? Crossbows seem to be stronger then bows because of armor penetration and accuracy, furthermore that +2 damage hardly seems to make any diffrence.
penguinflyer2222
Queen Penguin (Senior Member)
Queen Penguin (Senior Member)

Post by penguinflyer2222 »

HP potions lower the max HP..
Well, I don't really play Egoboo for a long time, so I don't know about playing with elves much.
Shade
Potion Mimic (Senior Member)
Potion Mimic (Senior Member)

Post by Shade »

penguinflyer2222 wrote:HP potions lower the max HP..

I think he was talking about the elixirs, not the normal potions. Quaffing a bunch of life elixir is indeed a very effective way to counteract the abysmal life max. of the elf.
You'd be surprised how incredibly tanky a Dragonhide!Elf with 15 life is, even without the protection spell. :P

@Ryrgwryr: I guess so. I occassionally use the longbow with the elf, simply because it for some reason is a ton faster than the crossbow, resulting in a higher DPS despite the crossbow's ability to ignore DEF (unless the enemy you're attacking really is incredibly tanky, in which case you usually are better off using spells anyway).
Crispy
Grub Bug (Rookie)
Grub Bug (Rookie)

Post by Crispy »

Indeed, elf can become a tank if he consumes enough life elixirs. The thing why i think the magic crosbows combo is better than long bow is that you can't hold anything in the other hand while using long bow anyways and crosbows shoots alot faster if you have one in both hands and actually use both of those. In older version the bleed also stacked faster :lol: oh, and using magic crosbows actualy saves more inv space since on top of not having to use str amulet for extra damage you won't have to hold any extra quivers for reloads since magic crosbow regenerates bolts. this is probably the best combo atleast till you don't have to collect those sporks anymore (after beating catacomb 1, right?). I never thought abaut using the book of unseen, gotta give it a shot next time.
Ryrgwryr
Grub Bug (Rookie)
Grub Bug (Rookie)

Post by Ryrgwryr »

Yes, I meant elixirs, sorry for confusion.
Elves can not only be awesome tanks, but they are almost perfect wizards, as for latter levels only thing that they are weaker in is mana flow and elves get much better accuracy. My elf can throw off max charged fireballs without resting(in dragon hide it's possible to cast it during battle as well). Book of Storms is also very universal weapon to get by, immunity or ressitance to ZAP is much less common then to fire.
Studying...