Oh Hey I thought of stuff.

All general stuff game related to Egoboo gameplay (Characters, tactics, etc.).

Moderator: Developers

Seanbot
Cobol (Esteemed member)
Cobol (Esteemed member)

Oh Hey I thought of stuff.

Post by Seanbot »

How are we going to do the module selection later on?
I kind of thought of a board game style thing, with the player as a playing piece, the world map is still a bit temperamental, and I little redundant at the moment.
If we had squares in-between locations and the random map formula gets going, we could have a chance to land on an encounter (maybe less labyrinthine [actual word], like captured by trogs?).
We could have a whole Dungeons and Dragons style thing going there (and yes I know how the DnD board works, but still).

If we ever need to have signs or something that are important (seeing as how most things are announced by a voice), we could have a town crier-esque guy standing next it, whom can all be voiced by the same person.

Also: I am still trying to work on some houses, but I would need to get into the code for some of the interfaces I would like to implement (unless we just have things explode out of cupboards and stuff.)
Moogirl wrote: [19:47:14] ­period jokes = not cool
[19:47:23] ­no wait it's the anus
[19:47:25] ­wtf
[19:47:46] ­a cloud cannot have that much blood
Zefz
Squirrel Knight (Administrator)

Post by Zefz »

World map along with module linking worked quite fine the small period it actually worked right?
bgbirdsey
{]-[0{0|307 (Developer)
{]-[0{0|307 (Developer)

Post by bgbirdsey »

I haven't tried it in a while. There was definitely a problem with registering a hit on the linking triggers...

I was hoping for module linking to be the primary means of getting around, with the module selection being "a little redundant". But Zefz pointed out that you would never really get to see the module descriptions...

The solution is to make a billboard when you bump into the object that has the module image and the text. Not implemented yet, though.
Seanbot
Cobol (Esteemed member)
Cobol (Esteemed member)

Post by Seanbot »

The world map never really did it for me.
Unless we expanded it a bit, and made the locations bigger, or the player smaller.
And how is it going to work with parties? That's something we're going to have to think about.
Moogirl wrote: [19:47:14] ­period jokes = not cool
[19:47:23] ­no wait it's the anus
[19:47:25] ­wtf
[19:47:46] ­a cloud cannot have that much blood
penguinflyer2222
Queen Penguin (Senior Member)
Queen Penguin (Senior Member)

Post by penguinflyer2222 »

Board game style = no. It just doesn't fit in.
I like the world map. As for with parties, just same as solo..
Agent of Dread
Protector (Senior Member)
Protector (Senior Member)

Post by Agent of Dread »

I liked the old idea to divide each part of the World Map into smaller modules and then use linking.
That way it could be more effectively scaled.
- Linktree: linktr.ee/trilbs -
Zefz

Post by Zefz »

I've fuzzed about the same thing before as well. But dividing the world map into smaller parts just complicates things and takes a lot of work. I reduced all movement speed on the world map so that the map looks bigger. If we add more features and effects on the map, I think it will look bigger and more interesting as well.
bgbirdsey
{]-[0{0|307 (Developer)
{]-[0{0|307 (Developer)

Post by bgbirdsey »

I'm not certain that the map needs to look bigger. IMHO the map is just a graphical representation of the menu. Also, having it look relatively small gives it a cartoonish look that is kind of Egoboo.

If/when it is changed, I would like some way of removing modules or "zones" completely so that Bishopia, Zippy, Sand Weg, etc. are actually on the world map.
octagon
Darkshine Knight (Extremist fanatic)
Darkshine Knight (Extremist fanatic)

Post by octagon »

I think that AoD's suggestion would be a much better way of doing this. The world map itself is kinda fun, but it is just somehow destroying the whole atmosphere of the game, since all the rest of the game is made very in-depth. The map is nice, but I think that in the current version it just doesn't fit a game like Egoboo. Very much potential of the Land of Lorule would be lost, because it could be much nicer if you can really travel through the land. A nice method for implementing AoD's idea of a split-up map would be the "submodules" with just the landscape being predeterminated and the objects (except of some certain things like structures or friendly NPCs) created with a random system. It would add much more flavour if you can travel around, choose a consistent way yourself and also save your position on the map. The characters would get... kind of a story, kind of a life through that system. Without that it's just... a game. Maybe with a complete world (what would be a loooooooooooooooot of work to do, but maybe it will be there in a few years) that old special feeling Cimeries mentioned here would come back even greater!
Crispy
Grub Bug (Rookie)
Grub Bug (Rookie)

Post by Crispy »

Have you guys ever heared of a game called The Bard's Tale? There is also one called just Bard's Tale and that's not the one i'm talking. The Bard's Tale has got a pretty interesting world map system that could also work well in egoboo. To describe it shortly for those that doesn't know the game, umm... when ever you are not in any town or in any dungeon but on the world map, you can see your character (The Bard) and move around on the map. The movement has been made as if the slow motion were on. Every time you go to the world map there spawns also some random encounters that can be seen as a single enemy/NPC. if you go too close to one of the enemy encounters it will try to catch you and if you try to catch a neutral/friendly encounter it will dry to run away. If you collide with any of those guys on the map you will be transfered to simple limited environment and there will be either a number of enemies that you must defeat before you can get out or if it is a shopkeeper you must find where he is hiding and talk to him to be able to leave. As you level up and advance in story line the random encounters on the world map will also change to those with either more challenging monsters or more in one encounter. the dungeons and towns will be shown on map and can de accessed when you have found out their location either by hearing it from some kind of NPC or finding a map that shows the location. It is a good RPG game btw, loads of humour, sarcasm and irony with epic story line/characters.
woodmouse
Monolich (Senior Member)
Monolich (Senior Member)

Post by woodmouse »

That sounds cool, but hard to make I believe. But it'd be really nice.
Once upon a time, when unicorns roamed the earth...