Class discusison

All general stuff game related to Egoboo gameplay (Characters, tactics, etc.).

Moderator: Developers

Favorite class?

Rogue
4%
Soldier
7%
Wizard
14%
Healer
11%
G'nome
4%
Elf
18%
Adventurer
18%
Paladin
11%
Archaeologist
4%
Zombi
11%

Total votes: 28

penguinflyer2222
Queen Penguin (Senior Member)
Queen Penguin (Senior Member)

Post by penguinflyer2222 »

I think that's a good idea. So then you would have a screenshot of Egoboo, one of the player's perspective, and one of your whole desktop with Egoboo on it!

I also think dazing monsters would be fun. I didn't even know there was a finished tourist class anywhere..

I don't really have a favorite class, because they are all fun!
woodmouse
Monolich (Senior Member)
Monolich (Senior Member)

Post by woodmouse »

@Blago: I was making Assassin earlier, and I'll continue later. Now I'm working on random stuff. xD
Once upon a time, when unicorns roamed the earth...
Agent of Dread
Protector (Senior Member)

Post by Agent of Dread »

Wow, that'd be awesome
EDIT: Excuse that post, I was on my phone.
All of those ideas are increbidly awesome, especially the camera ordeal. Maybe we could make a setting to make Egoboo a First Person game with that! :o
- Linktree: linktr.ee/trilbs -
octagon
Darkshine Knight (Extremist fanatic)

Post by octagon »

All classes are done great. The Adventurer is manifold, but there is extremely few equipment in the starter, what makes him less useful, and for my personal needs he's not good enough in magic. The elf is kind of a Fragile Speedster/Squishy Wizard, but he has neat skills and MP regen (although there isn't much to regenerate). I like him best - among rogue and healer.
The soldier and paladin are great in melee fights, but I think they are too slow. The rogue has awesome skills, but is almost helpless against a mighty mage. G'nomes are fun, but their equipment is hard to get.
The Wizard - I managed it today to finish his module in a hour of very hard playing - is an awesome class if you know how to exploit his strengths.
Ditto
Jungle Warrior (Committed contributor)
Jungle Warrior (Committed contributor)

Post by Ditto »

I say that my favorite class to play as would be the healer. I like to have healing abilities, and it's fun to melee... but I can't stand the paladin's horrible speed. Besides, the healer has both plenty of health (although not as much as some classes) and plenty of mana, and divine spells as well as healing are pretty useful in some situations, especially multiplayer.

I'd have to say, I don't like the adventurer. He doesn't excel in anything, and I really can't get through most situations with him.

The elf is awesome in multiplayer, when there's someone else taking the damage, but otherwise, you need to use a lot of defensive spells to stay alive and keep your distance, but if you manage that, he can be fun to play as.
"It only hurts when my squad won't f***ing heal me."

http://guildedage.net/
Shade
Potion Mimic (Senior Member)

Post by Shade »

Ditto wrote:I'd have to say, I don't like the adventurer. He doesn't excel in anything, and I really can't get through most situations with him.

Well, he's a jack of all, master of none. However, his flexibility also is his greatest strength. Can you name any other class that can smack a bunch of enemies with a sword, harass them with Storm or a similar spell at the same time and not suck at either? Also, unlike the elf, he actually does damage with physical attacks, and can actually take quite a lot of hits. And there's always running shoes to help with his horrible movement speed.

Ditto wrote:The elf is awesome in multiplayer, when there's someone else taking the damage, but otherwise, you need to use a lot of defensive spells to stay alive and keep your distance, but if you manage that, he can be fun to play as.

Alternatively, you could also just utilize the elf's great speed and dodge your enemies. :wink:
Or you could get the dragon hide; it reduces any damage the elf takes to pretty laughable amounts, so that even an elf with like 5 life points suddenly becomes an utter tank. A speedy tank.
Zefz
Squirrel Knight (Administrator)

Post by Zefz »

Paladin got too much nerfed maybe?
Shade

Post by Shade »

Zefz wrote:Paladin got too much nerfed maybe?

That's quite possible. Last I knew, the paladin had horrible movement speed (even worse than a 2ndArmor!Adventurer's), couldn't jump for crap, was unable to use most divine spells (and only had a very limited mana supply anyway) and didn't even have anything resembling outstanding melee damage; he just has a nice amount of life points, but soldiers and gnomes still have more. He's pretty much a jack of all trades like the adventurer, with the difference being that he isn't just a master of none, but actually sucks at pretty much everything he does.
Keep the movement speed, as it fits the paladin class, but I'd suggest to increase his stats a bit; especially his mana flow and wisdom, as having the ability to cast spells is near worthless if you suck at it.
Zefz

Post by Zefz »

OK. I will look into it.
octagon

Post by octagon »

Clonkinator wrote:
Ditto wrote:I'd have to say, I don't like the adventurer. He doesn't excel in anything, and I really can't get through most situations with him.

Well, he's a jack of all, master of none. However, his flexibility also is his greatest strength. Can you name any other class that can smack a bunch of enemies with a sword, harass them with Storm or a similar spell at the same time and not suck at either? Also, unlike the elf, he actually does damage with physical attacks, and can actually take quite a lot of hits. And there's always running shoes to help with his horrible movement speed.

Normally you are not really motivated to train him that much that he is able to use (and afford) the Storm spell, and there is no real method of training him unless you find it fun to run through the royal cellar squishing grub bugs for an hour (what a boring method of grinding... the World Map was better...) or return to Zippy 20 times hoping you find soem mimics and can kill them before the guards do.
Clonkinator wrote:
Ditto wrote:The elf is awesome in multiplayer, when there's someone else taking the damage, but otherwise, you need to use a lot of defensive spells to stay alive and keep your distance, but if you manage that, he can be fun to play as.

Alternatively, you could also just utilize the elf's great speed and dodge your enemies. :wink:
Or you could get the dragon hide; it reduces any damage the elf takes to pretty laughable amounts, so that even an elf with like 5 life points suddenly becomes an utter tank. A speedy tank.

Yes, that's why the elf is 1337. Even if you dare buying the Fireball spell in Lvl 3 and he keeps blowing up himself all the time, he takes only 1 damage per fireball. From a fragile speedster/squishy wizard mix, he suddenly gets something like a magical version of the Lightning Bruiser. And he can't deal decent damage in melee, but he can use [AWEP], what makes up for that, because strength doesn't really matter that much if you have a sword.
Shade

Post by Shade »

octagon wrote:
Clonkinator wrote:

Normally you are not really motivated to train him that much that he is able to use (and afford) the Storm spell, and there is no real method of training him unless you find it fun to run through the royal cellar squishing grub bugs for an hour (what a boring method of grinding... the World Map was better...) or return to Zippy 20 times hoping you find soem mimics and can kill them before the guards do.

Uh, that's not true. The adventurer is one of the characters best suited for beating the sand palace and thus having a possibility to level up, simply because he is capable of getting a fire weapon before that (he actually starts out with one) and every single damn enemy in there with the sole exception of the boss scorpion there is weak to fire damage. He even gets an infinite ammo ranged attack that deals ZAP damage to deal with the scorpion - oh look, the scorpion is weak to ZAP damage! (Though chances are you will just spam it to death with the wand of lightning anyway. There really is no excuse to not use the torch against the sand troll.)
I've never had trouble leveling up adventurers; the adventurer actually is the only class I've ever gotten to level 20. :o

octagon wrote:
Clonkinator wrote:

Yes, that's why the elf is 1337. Even if you dare buying the Fireball spell in Lvl 3 and he keeps blowing up himself all the time, he takes only 1 damage per fireball. From a fragile speedster/squishy wizard mix, he suddenly gets something like a magical version of the Lightning Bruiser. And he can't deal decent damage in melee, but he can use [AWEP], what makes up for that, because strength doesn't really matter that much if you have a sword.

Yeah, elves are awesome, and in fact my 2nd favourite class. :)
However, AWEP is mostly a waste on the elf; if you deal crap for damage anyway, you really are better of with a spear or a (cross-)bow to keep your enemies at a distance instead of going melee with a sword. I don't remember if longbows require AWEP; if they do, then okay, that's a plus for the elf, but I wouldn't bother giving an elf a sword.
Don't get me wrong, you can actually win battles with an elf in melee of course, it just takes much longer than it takes if you use bows or spells.
octagon

Post by octagon »

I didn't quote anything this time to keep the posts from getting miles long.
However, I didn't want to say that I use the elf for melee, but when in need, he can deal decent damage with a sword (or spear, you're right that it's a better weapon for an elf. But I bought him a spear to cut the scorpion's claws. In that situation, AWEP is a great advantage). And the adventurer's torch is nothing special... you can get one in every basic starter. The missile spell is alsoless useful in an adventurer's hand... while he can cast ~2 of them in Lvl 3, the elf casts 3 and the wizard can cast four.
Agent of Dread

Post by Agent of Dread »

Clonks argues great points here.
Yes, the adventurer isn't great in anything, but there's nothing in which he's exceedingly bad either.
- Linktree: linktr.ee/trilbs -
Shade

Post by Shade »

octagon wrote:And the adventurer's torch is nothing special... you can get one in every basic starter.

No.
G'nomes can't get one. Rogues can't get one. The wizard and elf can both get one, but they both suck at actually using it for combat. The soldier can get one too, but chances are that his inventory is so crammed with other items that he won't have room for one.

octagon wrote:The missile spell is alsoless useful in an adventurer's hand... while he can cast ~2 of them in Lvl 3, the elf casts 3 and the wizard can cast four.

Of course, the adventurer is less skilled at using spells than the elf or the wizard. But he's still decent. Those two missiles still deal decent damage, and they're still a decent ranged attack with near-infinite ammo. And then there are Storm and Fireball a few levels later, which really rock, even in the hands of an adventurer. A wizard may deal a bit more damage with them, but this comes at the cost of the wizard being complete crap in melee. The adventurer can spam spells fine and bust out a melee weapon whenever he feels like it (or runs out of mana) and suddenly engage the enemies in melee and not suck at it. Try to melee with a wizard and chances are that you'll die.
Cimeries
Lumberjack (Developer)
Lumberjack (Developer)

Post by Cimeries »

Clonkinator wrote:Try to melee with a wizard and chances are that you'll die.

I went through Griffin f***ing Tower as a level 3 Wizard with nothing but a Whip to begin with. Died only once, when I fought Bargel. Screw you and your inability to kick some ass.
:wink: