Some questions from a beginner

All general stuff game related to Egoboo gameplay (Characters, tactics, etc.).

Moderator: Developers

maxpower
Acid Blob (New member)
Acid Blob (New member)

Some questions from a beginner

Post by maxpower »

Hi, I'm completly new to this game. I have several questions (regarding both, gameplay and development).

1.) How exactly do I play this game? I mean, I can start it, walk around, fight a bit. And then? I tried the Adventurer module, where I have two friends. After I kill the end boss with my two spears it tells me to hit Escape. If I do so I'm on the main menu again. Now what? If I take single player game and choose my char I can go to a town or to another dungeon. But in both locations I don't have any weapons (where are my spears gone?) and also no friends anymore or I have way to few money to do anything in the town. In the sand temple I start with a yoyo (or are these things coins)? I don't really get the equipment system and continuation system of this game...

2.) One guy in the town tells me to collect mushrooms. How do I do so?

3.) I read that the original author of the game works on something called SoulFu, I also played this (and I have to say I like it better). It is also open source. Is it planned to join forces with Egoboo? The better elements of both (+ a better control system, it's really hard with the keyboard in both games) would really make a great game.

4.) In the wiki/manual are only description of the single elements or walkthroughs for the dungeons. Is there somewhere a general tutorial?

Thank you very much.
penguinflyer5234
Sheep (Developer)
Sheep (Developer)

Post by penguinflyer5234 »

1) That is a bug...
2) Some dungeons have mushrooms
3) Not in the distant future
4) Not yet, but there was someone rewriting the manual...

Oh, and welcome to the forums! :teach:, :cookie:, :idea:
penguinflyer2222
Queen Penguin (Senior Member)

Post by penguinflyer2222 »

Well, what he said.
Welcome, and you already have a lightbulb. :)
Your friends don't come with you when you leave the Adventurer start, but that's ok.
maxpower
Acid Blob (New member)
Acid Blob (New member)

Post by maxpower »

Thanks your for your quick reply. :)

1) So, without the bug I would keep all my friends, weapons and animals I can ride on?

2) By the way, is this a quest from the new quest system that is mentioned in the change log?

3) But is it planned to use some code snippets from SoulFu? For example the graphics engine looks a bit better (but Egoboo has also its charme, it's... "different", not bad, but "different", yes). Or the menus could be usefull in egoboo, too. Egoboo is nice, of course, but the lack of good menus is a thing that rather annoys me...

4) Nice, I'm looking forward to the day when it's done.
penguinflyer5234
Sheep (Developer)
Sheep (Developer)

1) You will only keep the items in your inventory (pockets & hands)
2) I don't think so, you can bring him mushrooms without knowing he needs mushrooms, it's just a trade.
penguinflyer2222

1) Actually, you wouldn't keep the friends and animals, but you'd keep the weapons. But the good thing is that there is a mount you can pick up and carry around with you later on in the game.

2) Not exactly. The quest system is keeping a quest.txt to see which modules each of your different characters have completed so each character has different modules unlocked.

3) I don't think so.

4) Yeah, I look forward to the new manual as well.
maxpower
Acid Blob (New member)
Acid Blob (New member)

Post by maxpower »

1) Clear
2) Clear
3) Clear
4) Clear

5) I'm a bit confused about the versioning. There's a svn version 2.7.7 that seems to be far outdated compared to 2.7.0b (almost a year behind). How does that work?
penguinflyer2222

5) Well, I'm not exactly sure, but 2.7.7 is a development version and those were on different 2.6x or 2.7x thingys so while the stables were on 2.6x the dev. were on 2.7x and now they are both on the same thing, it is kinda confusing. Maybe one of the developers can explain it.
penguinflyer5234
Sheep (Developer)
Sheep (Developer)

2.7.7 was the development version with all the new features, but most of the features have been backported to the stable version (no hotseat...).