Some Retrospection

All general stuff game related to Egoboo gameplay (Characters, tactics, etc.).

Moderator: Developers

Agent of Dread
Protector (Senior Member)
Protector (Senior Member)

Some Retrospection

Post by Agent of Dread »

My laptop is currently away at the manafacturer's for repairs, so I dug the computer our family bought in 2004 out of storage and am playing around on that to kill time and such.
Naturally, it was cluttered with a bunch of old Egoboo distros, dev tools and stuff like that. I was hoping to get one of my favourite old builds working, but 2.3.6 is buggier than my nostalgia remembers and I think the machine is a little too weak for it anyway. Regardless, the endeavour got me to start trawling around the back alleys here, on Informe, and even before.

Re-reading old dev discussions with the breadth of perspective offered by my now being 18 and not 10, and having done a semester of Java & C#, I was kind of sad that I wasn't the way I am now back in 2000 when everyone first got ahold of Egoboo open source. I might have been able to help build something out of what was, and is, a charmingly simple 3D hack'n'slash. Seeing a project with such a strangely long lineage develop through the eyes and brain I have now seems like it would have been so much fun, even more than it was being a part of the community as I was.

I think I'll try and help out - for real this time - when I get my laptop back, if the scraps of free time left over between drawing, gaming and attending my classes & doing assignments permit, though. Or at least learn from Egoboo in creating something new.
I don't know if this actually has the profound meaning I thought it might, but oh well. It is what it is. :P
- Linktree: linktr.ee/trilbs -
Zefz
Squirrel Knight (Administrator)
Squirrel Knight (Administrator)

Re: Some Retrospection

Post by Zefz »

Hi AoD. You should check out https://gitter.im/egoboo/egoboo where the other Egoboo developers hang out ;)