why a game with so much potential has been overlooked?

All general stuff game related to Egoboo gameplay (Characters, tactics, etc.).

Moderator: Developers

ramonraia
Acid Blob (New member)
Acid Blob (New member)

why a game with so much potential has been overlooked?

Post by ramonraia »

Egoboo is one of the best indie games that know, and with the PlayStation supporting all these indie games, it would be a great chance for egoboo to become a known game, it just need to be a little polished and worked on, I know that the people would like to buy this game in PS Store (I surely would). And if I had created this game I certainly wouldn't just abandon this great idea that this game is. (And if my english were not that good, I'm sorry, I'm not american.)
Maxaxle
Darkshine Knight (Extremist fanatic)
Darkshine Knight (Extremist fanatic)

Re: why a game with so much potential has been overlooked?

Post by Maxaxle »

1. I think you're misusing the term "indie game". The term "indie" means "made by one person or a few people in a group, rather than a big development company", but it only really applies to commercial games.
2. I don't think anyone here would willingly sell the game. It would just feel wrong, like the whole Nexuiz/Xonotic debacle.
"Failing to plan is planning to fail."
Bug me if you want to play a game.
Seth
Chest Mimic (Community member)
Chest Mimic (Community member)

Post by Seth »

I don’t think that Egoboo should be vendible. Perhaps we could vend merchandise, or even allow people to donate, but I strongly prefer that the game be gratis. Video game designers who are motivated by profit will often steer away from any niches and go for what is ‘hip’ and ‘cool’ today to safely obtain more profits. They prefer not to take risks. That said, it would be nice if the designers could labour on the game more, and if we were given the option to liberally give them payment for whatever reason, the designers could continue polishing and expanding the game.

It’s possible that we could make a deal with Steam and have Egoboo available as a gratis game, but I have no experience in this.
freegamer
Grub Bug (Rookie)
Grub Bug (Rookie)

Post by freegamer »

Seth wrote:I strongly prefer that the game be gratis. Video game designers who are motivated by profit will often steer away from any niches and go for what is ‘hip’ and ‘cool’ today to safely obtain more profits. They prefer not to take risks.
I don't think that's a fact.

A great example is ToME4, since released on Steam. It is still free. If you want Steam integration, you get it on Steam. It has widened the audience, allowed the developer to work more on the game (because it now earns him a living) and is inexpensive. The project's principles have not been compromised, yet it has been a massive benefit to the developer and the project.
Free Gamer - open source games resource
FreeGameDev - free software game community