Holy bolt rune

All general stuff game related to Egoboo gameplay (Characters, tactics, etc.).

Moderator: Developers

Gat'lin Gun
Acid Blob (New member)
Acid Blob (New member)

Holy bolt rune

Post by Gat'lin Gun »

Quick question: What do I need to use the holy bolt rune, and how do I use it? I just get a little orb at my hand and then it vanishes. At this point I could also use the sign of the Holy Cross, so what is so cool about this rune?

question number2: How do I place potions in the spawn file without the game crashing? I have everything ready, and it crashes like I got the number wrong or something.
Shade
Potion Mimic (Senior Member)

Re: Holy bolt rune

Post by Shade »

Gat'lin Gun wrote:Quick question: What do I need to use the holy bolt rune, and how do I use it? I just get a little orb at my hand and then it vanishes. At this point I could also use the sign of the Holy Cross, so what is so cool about this rune?
I never really use runes, so I'm not 100% sure - but I believe Holy Bolt is a chargable rune (like magic missile) that requires quite a lot of Magic Flow to actually be used, more than a paladin will ever reasonably aquire. If you're using a healer, just level up a bit more before trying again.
It's similar to how a tome of fireball requires a lot of Magic Flow to not randomly drop the fireballs you were charging.
Gat'lin Gun wrote:question number2: How do I place potions in the spawn file without the game crashing? I have everything ready, and it crashes like I got the number wrong or something.
Which version of the game are you trying this in? It worked fine in 2.6.8, but I dunno about the newer ones.
If the game outright crashes, however, it sounds like the number you were trying to give to the potion is already used by another object file in the same module. slotused.txt shows you which slots the last module loaded are used/unused, and should also tell you when two or more objects try to use the same slot.
Gat'lin Gun
Acid Blob (New member)
Acid Blob (New member)

Post by Gat'lin Gun »

I'm using 2.7.5, but I read the slot number and had the object in the object folder like all the other items, but it crashes like I'm overwriting or something.
penguinflyer5234
Sheep (Developer)
Sheep (Developer)

Post by penguinflyer5234 »

2.7.5 is ancient, 2.6.0 is actually newer than 2.7.5 and 2.7.7 (blame Zefz for the confusion)
Zefz
Squirrel Knight (Administrator)
Squirrel Knight (Administrator)

Post by Zefz »

Yes 2.7.5 and 2.7.7 are from an entirely different discontinued branch of Egoboo.

Holy Bolt requires a specific amount of mana and character level to be successfully cast. (3 or so)
Shade

Post by Shade »

Spambot wrote:I'm using 2.7.5, but I read the slot number and had the object in the object folder like all the other items, but it crashes like I'm overwriting or something.

2.7.5 didn't have the global object repository yet, IIRC? In that case, the same item may have different slot numbers in different modules. Importing an item from a different module without first changing its slot number may result in two items trying to use the same slot, which indeed results in a crash. There should be a log file called slotused.txt showing which objects were assigned what slots, which should help you figure out the problem.
Agent of Dread
Protector (Senior Member)
Protector (Senior Member)

Post by Agent of Dread »

That post is a direct copypaste of one of the above ones, Shade...
I'm not entirely sure if it's a spambot or not.
- Linktree: linktr.ee/trilbs -
Shade

Post by Shade »

I didn't even notice. Sorry.