Egoboo is a potato.

All general stuff game related to Egoboo gameplay (Characters, tactics, etc.).

Moderator: Developers

Do you hope 3.0 will be the last version of Egoboo?

Yes
10%
No
20%
I want at least 4.0
No votes
I want at least 5.0
No votes
I want at least 6.0-9.0
No votes
I want at least 10.0
No votes
I hope it never ends
70%
I'm not sure
No votes

Total votes: 10

woodmouse
Monolich (Senior Member)
Monolich (Senior Member)

Egoboo is a potato.

Post by woodmouse »

...okay, that sounds quite ominous. But so far quite a lot of the people who I've told about Egoboo have said something like "this game sucks more than the cheapest wh**e on the street!!! THE MAKERS OF IT SHOULD KILL THEMSELVES!!!", etc, especially about the art and style of things. Not everyone, but a few have gone that far. So, I'm kinda confused; is it because Egoboo doesn't have the newest kind of graphics (which push computers to their limits) and wet-looking over shiny shaders, etc? Or do they hate it for other reasons, including it being free, etc? :o

I'm just confused. It's like... WHY would anyone hate Egoboo? HOW can anyone hate it? I mean, I admit I've hoped a few times that there'd be a "sparklier/brighter atmosphere that some newer games tend to have", and still hope it, but it's not a thing I'd complain about. :? It's like... Egoboo is great as it is. One day, it'll be greater. Hopefully it'll eventually exceed the limits of "epic" and go to something bigger. You know, something... beyond epic. Anyway, what I mean is... of course, as I'm an epic person (I use that nick in a few places; yes, including my blogs which the other one is *gasp* pretty much something everyone frowns upon) that's natural; but Egoboo doesn't need to be too epic, while it'd be epic for it to be that. You know, like... if you look at Egoboo and this community now, it's a potato. :) Who knows what it'll be in 2-3 years? It could be a tomato or a tortoise; Zefz at least has talked a lot about 3.0 being the final version, which makes me sad. You know, there's already 2.8.2. So basically it means, by my top secret methods of calculating poslunction, that by 3.0 Egoboo is still a potato; it's epic as f**k, it's as huge as Rasputin's penis, it's like spiderman holding a tortoise in his arms. However, by these same calculations, if Egoboo would be continued to, say, 5.0, it could be pure tortoise; the most epic thing in the universe, that is, the one true supermegahyperultrapwn. 8) Yes, I know I'm in no position to do these calculations, but I like doing things that go a bit over the top so to speak... :oops:
Anyway. I mean, if Egoboo is now the thing that satisfies us, does that mean that's the end for it? If you ask me...

These forums are filled with nice people, which is also a thing some seem to hate; they say stuff like "they're like family, you can't trust them, they'll stab you in the back when you're not watching", while it's clearly not true... no one here so far has "betrayed" anyone as far as I know. Apart from me doing it accidentally. I'm not saying I've been involved in Egoboo stuff for long, since I haven't, but I'm not the newest person around here, and so far nothing like that has happened, apart from spammers and that some dude who did an anti-Egoboo youtube video, which isn't there anymore. But I mean... there isn't much stuff like that. It all comes from the outside. :x
I feel like Egoboo is only liked by a certain type of people, and the forums are like a closed community who never get new people in there, everyone has weird close-to-mind-reading relationship with the others, there are certain "roles" everyone has; it all happens naturally. We all, to a certain extent, want more people to know and like Egoboo, right? Most people come and go, they never stay on these forums.

If you think of the internet as a planet, that means this forum is a tiny town that most people don't know exists... it's great that way, everyone knows each other... I could say this is like Savonranta (my grandparents lived there, we have a summer place there, etc), which used to be its own "sector" but was "taken over" by a bigger place, which is was added as a part of. It didn't change anything, but as it's mostly forest, that means it's only the town that's known to people by its name. Almost everything in common with this forum, if you ask me, and the two earlier forums (although I joined only on the Informe forums, but well). Things change, but nothing changes. Sure, people change, but that's how life works; it's easy to compare it with old people dying and new being born. However, sometimes the "dead" people come back. Sometimes for a brief moment, but they come to remind us about something. That's when I think "oh... Egoboo is epic and the forums are awesome". :D

So, back to the point of "wanting more people" around here. Look at the Wesnoth forums, it's one huge mess, like a nation in civil war; people fight each other, admins have to break their own rules to keep the place free of spammers. :roll: Compare spammers to terrorists, or rebelling people. Most of them don't care what they fight for, and what they fight against. But sometimes there's one of two who have something to say. Perhaps something important, which could change people's perspective of things. Now, what do the admins do? Delete the "spam" and ban the "spammer". Isn't that like the world? Countries with many people don't want more, but those who have few want more. Animals are getting extinct, there's global warming... it's all happening on internet forums too. :(

Now, why would we want more people to our "close-minded devil-worshipping cult", which it seems some think we are? To get virgins to sacrifice? :shock: I mean, c'mon, we might have some different views on some things when it comes to games, art, music, etc, than what many other people on other forums do, but that doesn't mean we're like that. It's like all the sayings about small communities having more of things like mental problems, inbreeding, twisted ideals, etc. It's just not true in all cases. If this forum would be a town with a 10 meters high wall around it, that'd instantly make people think "they're sick people"; if we had no walls, they'd think "nice people who need company". Then everyone comes here and forces the old people to leave. :evil:

So, how does this have to do with Egoboo's epicness? It just does. We're a small community, a pleasant one, but most outside people don't always like us. So what can we do to change that, but keep the pleasantness? Make Egoboo thousand times more epic...? Sure, why not? It'd just take thousand times more and would be thousand times harder to get things done, and it'd easily result in the civil war like Wesnoth forums have, after the former admin disappeared. Now, what I'm getting at is that if Zefz were to disappear, that could be the result, and it'd be sad. Birdsey would probably babysit us all for some time, possibly even a year, but eventually, it'd be a miracle (no offense meant) if he wouldn't snap and go the easy way; ban everyone who disagrees. I've been on a few other forums, like I've said before, where that's happened. Admins just "turn insane" of all the spam and fighting. One of the forums went so downhill they didn't allow new members to register because of all the spam. :| That lead to the existing users' accounts being hacked and used for spamming. Which then in turn led to the forum being deleted, and it stayed that way for at least a month. When it was back, things weren't as out of hand, but what did it cost? Probably more than half of the old users were either banned or left the forum, including admins and moderators. Guess who was one of the only moderators who stayed? The guy who banned everyone. :x Did he "heal from his insanity"? No, he got online post-traumatic stress disorder, and kept banning people and locking threads for nothing. So the admins banned him. I hope this won't happen with this forum; I can't imagine it happening, but too many users leads to that. That forum had over 1000 users online almost 24/7, so it was huge. Anyway, it's like playing with fire; if Egoboo was mentioned in some of the top gaming magazines, what would happen? The worst case scenario. :cry: Even if it was praised there. Not on the first months maybe, but eventually, it would.

I can compare forums to stars as well; the bigger and brighter they are, the shorter time they last. Then they become black holes when they die. That's the state when they suck in every spammer. I hope that'll never happen with Egoboo, but if I think reasonably, it's the only fate there is, if the main developing stops on a predefined date or release. People report bugs, they are ignored, they get angry, they spam. One day, the spammers and trolls kill each other, and it all goes into a cloud of sparkling things, the forum ascends to become a "god". It might not exist anymore, only mentions of its epic flamewars are scattered everywhere on the internet. Sometimes, a name of a great hero who defended the forums until the last day is mentioned. ;) Anyway, I mean that eventually everything dies. Everything disappears and turns into something different. Things change. There are great legendary heroes and big bads of the internet. :lol:

So, the big point is: does Egoboo need to go down that road? It SHOULD be possible to prevent it, if everything is done right. Am I the only one who hopes for this?

Sorry to everyone who feels offended by this post; I don't mean it that way.
Once upon a time, when unicorns roamed the earth...
Cimeries
Lumberjack (Developer)
Lumberjack (Developer)

Re: Egoboo is a potato.

Post by Cimeries »

For 100 points, please state, in 120 words or less, what the f**k it is you are trying to say.
:wink:
woodmouse
Monolich (Senior Member)
Monolich (Senior Member)

Post by woodmouse »

Cimeries wrote:For 100 points, please state, in 120 words or less, what the f**k it is you are trying to say.
-Egoboo is too epic to have a final version
-forums get too much spam and I hope that doesn't happen to this forum
-potatoes and tortoises are awesome

...and some things I already forgot about.
octagon
Darkshine Knight (Extremist fanatic)

Post by octagon »

Zefz at least has talked a lot about 3.0 being the final version, which makes me sad. You know, there's already 2.8.2.
Be aware that a 2.255.1337 or the like is theoretically possible.
Zefz
Squirrel Knight (Administrator)
Squirrel Knight (Administrator)

Post by Zefz »

Many people dont like Egoboo because they find the gameplay difficult to grasp. If you play Egoboo for the first time, you have no idea what the hell is going on and stuff is happening really fast on the screen with funny small voices screaming at you. You press wildly at buttons stuff begins to glow but nothing happens and your torch just went out and you cannot relight it.

My two cents anyways. The new split screen system and my new inventory system should make it more player friendly though
woodmouse
Monolich (Senior Member)
Monolich (Senior Member)

Post by woodmouse »

Zefz wrote:Many people dont like Egoboo because they find the gameplay difficult to grasp. If you play Egoboo for the first time, you have no idea what the hell is going on and stuff is happening really fast on the screen with funny small voices screaming at you. You press wildly at buttons stuff begins to glow but nothing happens and your torch just went out and you cannot relight it.
I don't know if I'm seriously the only one who that didn't happen to...? :o At first, I mean, eventually it started happening to me too. :P
octagon

Post by octagon »

While your thoughts are extremely muddled, all that is an interesting point.

Most of my friends are overly focused on graphics and repeatedly tell me that they could never play a game like Cave Story, La Mulana, Iji or Egoboo because of how things look... So many little Maxaxles. They're missing some of the best things in gaming. :(
While I cannot understand that position at all, there seems to be little that can be done about this.
woodmouse wrote:I feel like Egoboo is only liked by a certain type of people
I agree. VG nostalgists, geeks, crossover fans, people looking for something new... all of these have a certain attitude in common...
Seth
Chest Mimic (Community member)
Chest Mimic (Community member)

Post by Seth »

¶ I have no “hope” there will be a final edition of Egoboo; the universe still has rich potential to be expanded on. There are a lot of dated games that still possess large groups of fans, even fans that were born after those games were released. There is no reason that ‘popularity’ is what draws in new fans. ¶ I think it is quite likely that the development team will continuously go into rotations, Zefz & alii may eventually desire to focus their interests in new things, possibly parting ways in that process. Other than that, I think it is not easy to prædict what will happen.