New Module: The Spider Queen's Lair

All general stuff game related to Egoboo gameplay (Characters, tactics, etc.).

Moderator: Developers

Zefz
Squirrel Knight (Administrator)

New Module: The Spider Queen's Lair

Post by Zefz »

The Spider Queen's Lair

I've added a new module. It's a fairly simple and easy beginner sidequest. It contains a completely new monster the Spider (4 varieties) with new model, texture, script and sounds. The module itself also has a new tile texture. Oh and the boss spider queen also has a new unique model.

I haven't introduced it as a sidequest through a NPC yet, any suggestions on how the player might get this quest? (the objective is to simply kill the spider queen)

The module will be in the upcoming 2.8.2 release.
woodmouse
Monolich (Senior Member)
Monolich (Senior Member)

Re: New Module: The Spider Queen's Lair

Post by woodmouse »

Oooh sounds cool! 8)
Zefz wrote:I haven't introduced it as a sidequest through a NPC yet, any suggestions on how the player might get this quest? (the objective is to simply kill the spider queen)
What about an insectologist whose family was killed by the spider queen, and he's too weak and as such needs the player to kill the spider?
Once upon a time, when unicorns roamed the earth...
bgbirdsey
{]-[0{0|307 (Developer)
{]-[0{0|307 (Developer)

Post by bgbirdsey »

Maybe something like the pet trader sends you on a quest to get a spider pet? Since we have no spider pets yet, you just discover that spiders make very bad pets.

Eventually, if a spider pet is made, you could get one in this module.... like if you get one just hatching from an egg it calls you "mommy" or something?
Zefz

Post by Zefz »

Good idea. I will make a baby spider that grows in size when it gains levels? It has to look different than the other spiders in that dungeon though, like the albino bat looks different from normal bat monsters... green spider? (what colour looks "good" in the meaning of a good person)
woodmouse
Monolich (Senior Member)
Monolich (Senior Member)

Post by woodmouse »

Zefz wrote:Good idea. I will make a baby spider that grows in size when it gains levels? It has to look different than the other spiders in that dungeon though, like the albino bat looks different from normal bat monsters... green spider? (what colour looks "good" in the meaning of a good person)
I've always thought light blue/purpleish white is the most "good" color, but green would probably fit a spider better.
bgbirdsey
{]-[0{0|307 (Developer)
{]-[0{0|307 (Developer)

Post by bgbirdsey »

Well, most arachnids are colorless when they molt, so maybe the spider could have a skin that progresses as n % 4.
Zefz

Post by Zefz »

What if the shoopkeeper in Zippy Town was the quest giver? The caravans from Bishopia are under attack by spiders so no trade goods can enter the town. As long this is true the shops are empty (or almost empty) until the player completes this quest.

Maybe the module is too difficult for new players.
woodmouse
Monolich (Senior Member)
Monolich (Senior Member)

Post by woodmouse »

Zefz wrote:What if the shoopkeeper in Zippy Town was the quest giver? The caravans from Bishopia are under attack by spiders so no trade goods can enter the town. As long this is true the shops are empty (or almost empty) until the player completes this quest.

Maybe the module is too difficult for new players.
Cooooool.
Lordofdragonss
Chest Mimic (Community member)

Post by Lordofdragonss »

Hmm Interesting module, but it looks too much like the level it was based on. I would change the Statue for Spider statue Add mor e spiders (there are two rooms with no enemies). And put traps in other places.
Also Spiders/ Spiderqueen even if they looks awesome they look not Egobooish... They are too thin...
Image FEED ME!
Zefz

Post by Zefz »

I am no modeller, if you can get me Egobooish spider models I'll be happy to add them :P But without new models we can't add much new content can we? (and without a modeller we have to do with what we have).

I intentonally left two rooms empty. One room is filled with traps and any monster in there would trigger them all. The other room is a resting room, the room with the well. I thought it would be nice if not -every- room contained bad stuff.
Lordofdragonss

Post by Lordofdragonss »

Heh I am not a modeller too. I'm just saying ;]

So maybe just relocate some traps?
Image FEED ME!
Zefz

Post by Zefz »

Egoboo has 5 different traps:
- Deadfall
- Pit traps
- Beartraps
- Arrowtrap
- Spiked Trap

One of the rooms was intentionally filled with deadfall traps, the players have to navigate carefully through the room not to get hurt. Smart players can lure spiders into the room and let them get caught by the traps!

Every other room (excluding the well room) already has dangers or challenges, wouldn't adding more traps be adding butter on bacon?
bgbirdsey
{]-[0{0|307 (Developer)
{]-[0{0|307 (Developer)

Post by bgbirdsey »

Well, the tranch is a spider...

I don't think it is bad to have another model, I just wish I could reduce the polys in that model and cartoonify it to make it more egoboo. There are tools in milkshape to do that but they destroy the model and the animations. So, maybe they don't do it at all. ;)
bitnapper
Tome Mimic (Module Baker)
Tome Mimic (Module Baker)

Post by bitnapper »

I use Cagliari True Space. This is available free from the internet and it has a pretty good polygon reduction tool. But only for non-animated-models.

IIRC there is a possibility to remove polygons resp. Points in the free MD2-Tool in the Egoboo Tool Pack.
Two beer or not two beer... rather a malt whisky