Hardware requirements for Egoboo

All general stuff game related to Egoboo gameplay (Characters, tactics, etc.).

Moderator: Developers

shirish
Acid Blob (New member)
Acid Blob (New member)

Hardware requirements for Egoboo

Post by shirish »

Hi all,
I have been looking (in vain I might add) to find what are the hardware requirements of Egoboo and have come up naught. Even the wikipedia doesn't have much clue other than saying that it needs an SDL compatible card.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Egoboo_(video_game)

I looked at the site and it seems that the published one i.e. 2.8.0 has some issues. There is an svn but couldn't find instructions for building the game through SVN either on the forum or on the wiki.

Perhaps didn't search hard enough or my google fu is not upto the mark. In either case, can somebody help this newbie to get some ideas.

Thanks for your time.
bgbirdsey
{]-[0{0|307 (Developer)
{]-[0{0|307 (Developer)

Post by bgbirdsey »

The only "requirement" is that your video card driver supports OpenGL commands up to version 1.4 (which is quite ancient). Aside from this one requirement, the only way we will ever be able to determine what hardware is inadequate reports from people like yourself.

I am developing on a very old 1.99 GHz desktop with 512 MB of ram under win XP service pack 3. Certain large modules run a bit sluggishly on my machine, which is probably due to the my limited memory.

I can tell you that older versions of the game run faster. This is due to increased complexity of the modules, increased use of particles, and higher complexity in the source code. I am currently trying to optimize a lot of the code to make it faster on all machines, but there are no guarantees...
Grub_Bug_01
Grub Bug (Rookie)
Grub Bug (Rookie)

Post by Grub_Bug_01 »

No offence but sometimes Egoboo works slower than GTA IV.
If you want to optimize it then you would need a lot of help because if just one person is going to optimize it it just going to take a lot of time and that's why the newer versions are sometimes slower.
Egoboo will be EPIC!