My last topic on this forum

All general stuff game related to Egoboo gameplay (Characters, tactics, etc.).

Moderator: Developers

denis3
Acid Blob (New member)
Acid Blob (New member)

My last topic on this forum

Post by denis3 »

For those of you who don't know me, I'm Denis Jaimes, a sort of ex-developer of Egoboo, in a way. I'm creating a new project called Egoboo: Adventure Edition. Here's my card: http://egoboo.translatewin.com/

The reason why I'm doing this is because my goal and the goal of the Egoboo community cannot co-exist. (And no, when it comes to open source projects, there is pretty much no such thing as an official version, just a most popular or most common one...)

- My goal is to expand the Egoboo universe and make Egoboo more like reading a book rather than solving random puzzles. (See my website for more info, it's not my only goal...)
- Their goal is to revive the roguelike genre and make more of a modern version of it.

There, it's simple. As it says in the website, I'm not really trying to be rebellious and start my own new community, because that would be unwise, I'm just trying to make an "experimentation lab" which is apparently disliked and generally unwelcome in this community because of the radicalness of the idea, that's why it's best to be separated. The player/costumer/visitor decides which one is better, remember, not the "majority of people in the Egoboo community". So, let the rivalry begin! Remember - don't hate me, it's just a game!
Alazamir
Tome Mimic (Ex-Developer)
Tome Mimic (Ex-Developer)

hmm

Post by Alazamir »

as i see it its not a rivalvry its just some off project that is something other than egoboo. As for crazy no its your own thing, but why would anyone not like you for it? your creating items that can be used in egoboo so if anything, its bettering egoboo even though indirectly. Sounds odd probably that i say this but just because its the engine your using it sounds more like a mod than a new game. sorta like many communities that have mods egoboo can have mods also i dont see a reason to call them horrible just not the main project. You want to make a story game to teach people we want a cute little roguelike. and btw roguelikes are pretty popular cuzz people wouldnt still download nethack so much if it wasnt lol, regardless roguelikes as a genre are very misunderstood. to be a roguelike its simple.

You need
1. random dungeons
2. familiars for your @ symbol
3. you can use tiles but those are newer to the game
4. 3d egoboo is a attempt on being a roguelike so thats what were working on.
5. at the end of the game when you die theres a tome that says how well you scored, graveyard like thing.
6. a huge list of creatures to fight against usually depicted by letters but in egoboo animations and pictures.
7. a worldmap above the dungeons (not all have this some have a town
but preference wise the original rogue had a world map.
8. tons of commands and actions that a character can do including engraving writing on the ground examining items casting spells well (you go play one to see) throwing a poisonous potion at a monster and poisoning them or acid)
9.items list useully exponential. though it makes sense you cant carry alot in egoboo although if someone made a bag of holding that would be nice.
ya i could probably go on and on but the people who play those games still play them to say nobody plays them is to say that nobody uses bbs's anymore and nobody plays muds. I still enjoy legend of the red Dragon when time i want to bust out on a door game, or trade wars, or exitilus..

ah i also command you to continue posting because we want to know where your packs of items and characters are here in case you want to share. *nods* thus being able to still help us as your making a mod for the game.

http://roguelikes.sauceforge.net/pub/

if you wanna look up roguelikes look there start doing a bit of research :)
Last edited by Alazamir on Sat Aug 02, 2008 1:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
through thorn of thick and lands of plenty came Alazamir to the many
www.techywizard.com
Zefz
Squirrel Knight (Administrator)

Post by Zefz »

Ah ok. Good luck then. Sad that you do not want to contribute to this community anymore.
penguinflyer2222
Queen Penguin (Senior Member)

Post by penguinflyer2222 »

Bye bye?
woodmouse
Monolich (Senior Member)
Monolich (Senior Member)

Post by woodmouse »

We all will miss you, Denis!!! :cry: :cry: :cry:
Once upon a time, when unicorns roamed the earth...
penguinflyer2222

Post by penguinflyer2222 »

You did a lot for egoboo.
Bye bye again.
Hiroy
Tranch (Novice)
Tranch (Novice)

Post by Hiroy »

I was looking forward to your work, but whatever. Quiting your projects because of bad feed is certainly not the way to go. If you want to achieve your goal, do not expect praise all the time. Stop trying to achieve fame. Do what you can do, and if you can't; learn and get better. We all start somewhere.

Good luck. I never cared what people thought about you. I have always thought you needed a bit of direction in what you were doing(atleast the ones I was aware of). Thank you for what you have done. I'm sure there's many things I do not know.
woodmouse
Monolich (Senior Member)
Monolich (Senior Member)

Post by woodmouse »

It's really sad... why do you have to leave...? :(
Once upon a time, when unicorns roamed the earth...
Shade
Potion Mimic (Senior Member)
Potion Mimic (Senior Member)

Post by Shade »

woodmouse wrote:We all will miss you, Denis!!! :cry: :cry: :cry:

I won't.

Well, denis3, I guess we've recently had pretty different opinions and views on things, which, combined with your arrogance and your sort-of-attempts to boss us around in the past, caused me to dislike you. Still, if you think you need to make something else out of Egoboo than we do, I won't stop you. Good luck on your project.
Last edited by Shade on Sun Aug 03, 2008 7:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
Agent of Dread
Protector (Senior Member)

Post by Agent of Dread »

Clonkinator wrote:
woodmouse wrote:We all will miss you, Denis!!! :cry: :cry: :cry:

I won't.

Well, denis3, I guess we've always had pretty different opinions and views on things, which, combined with your arrogance and your sort-of-attempts to boss us around in the past, caused me to dislike you. Still, if you think you need to make something else out of Egoboo than we do, I won't stop you. Good luck on your project.

QFT, but always should be 'recently'.
- Linktree: linktr.ee/trilbs -
denis3
Acid Blob (New member)
Acid Blob (New member)

Post by denis3 »

when did i say that i wouldn't share it? :? it's called open source for a reason... i promised never to make the egoboo game commercial after all...

Ah ok. Good luck then. Sad that you do not want to contribute to this community anymore.

Thanks. Even though I'm not loyal to you anymore (LOL), I still respect you... And all the others in this community...
PurpleSquerkle
Massive Gelfeet (Developer)
Massive Gelfeet (Developer)

Re: My last topic on this forum

Post by PurpleSquerkle »

denis3 wrote:For those of you who don't know me, I'm Denis Jaimes, a sort of ex-developer of Egoboo, in a way. I'm creating a new project called Egoboo: Adventure Edition. Here's my card: http://egoboo.translatewin.com/

The reason why I'm doing this is because my goal and the goal of the Egoboo community cannot co-exist. (And no, when it comes to open source projects, there is pretty much no such thing as an official version, just a most popular or most common one...)

- My goal is to expand the Egoboo universe and make Egoboo more like reading a book rather than solving random puzzles. (See my website for more info, it's not my only goal...)
- Their goal is to revive the roguelike genre and make more of a modern version of it.

There, it's simple. As it says in the website, I'm not really trying to be rebellious and start my own new community, because that would be unwise, I'm just trying to make an "experimentation lab" which is apparently disliked and generally unwelcome in this community because of the radicalness of the idea, that's why it's best to be separated. The player/costumer/visitor decides which one is better, remember, not the "majority of people in the Egoboo community". So, let the rivalry begin! Remember - don't hate me, it's just a game!

Good luck and have fun.

Sad to hear you won't be working much over here, but if you come up with anything you think we could use, it'd be cool if you shared it.
denis3
Acid Blob (New member)
Acid Blob (New member)

Post by denis3 »

Hm..

Having read this after about 1.8 years -> You don't know how much I regret posting stuff like this!

Sorry for this re-popup btw - Just came by to say hello.
Zefz

Post by Zefz »

:o hello
Agent of Dread

Post by Agent of Dread »

Zefz wrote::o hello

I don't know at all why, but this amuses me to no end.
- Linktree: linktr.ee/trilbs -